Automator + Itunes + AFP share

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by barbz127, Sep 1, 2011.

1. barbz127, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

barbz127 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am trying to move from PC to mac and the last peice of the puzzle is having my itunes library update against a music folder on my nas.

The nas supports AFP, NFS and SMB - so Im easy either way - 10.7 does seem to favour AFP and NFS over SMB or at least the server version that I am using.

I have tried making this work using automator and sometimes it works, sometimes not, sometimes it automatic and other times it only works when I run it manually through automator.

So, could anyone please step me through doing this? I dont mind if its not automatic and I have to run an application once a week or on startup - that I can deal with. Its the remembering what is new and importing that each time that I cant.

Edit:
    Thinking about this now, if I have a music (/music) folder on my nas and I move the itunes library to the nas (/configs/itunes), could I in theory create a symbolic link from the "automatically add to itunes folder" to my music folder? Or if its mounted to my mac could I create a link on my machine? from Music/Itunes/AutoAddtoitunes and /volumes/nas/music? Would this work?

Cheers
    Paul

2. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I am wondering about the same thing. Although I am using smb to mount from my WHS. The smb mounts are hit and miss, sometimes they work.. most times not.

I have added my iTunes library from my nas:
    /Volumes/Files-1/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

For some reason it doesn't do anything, on SL it immediately started analyzing my tracks. Nothing happens when I did this in Lion..

I have no problem changing them to AFP shares if I need to.

Would it be a waste of time to put Lion Server onto my server instead of any windows OS?

3. barbz127 thread starter macrumors newbie

In regards to the server it would depend on what you need it to do - if its just serve files then why bother if you current OS will serve in all forms (it may need an upgrade for AFP to work on 10.7).

And as for automating the import process, did you just move your itunes folder location?

I guess that would work if you could re-direct or link the automatically add to itunes folder to your existing folder.

Paul

4. Dhelsdon, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Yes, I have it set up like so:

//server/ has about 6 directories one of which is Files,

/files/music/iTunes/iTunes Music

Where iTunes is just copied from my original files, then I later removed the local itunes files (emptied library) now I just drop the media into the Automatically add to itunes folder, on the nas and normally it would just analyze the new tracks and add them. I guess I just need to upgrade it so it serves afp too. I only have apple in my house so maybe Lion server is the way to go?

I just need it for file sharing and media hosting for my ATV w/ boxee.