Automator - move files to app contents?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flat five, Dec 3, 2011.

1. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

hi,

is there any way, using Automator, to move files to (appname).app / contents?
    if so, how?
    thanks

2. flat five thread starter macrumors 603

flat five

ok.. i figured out a workaround that i'll post here in case anyone else ever comes across such a need.

the problem is, when trying to navigate to app/contents with automator's "move finder items", the actual apps are greyed out and you can't dig into them..

what i did was-- using finder, navigate to the desired folder within app/contents then drag it to the sidebar.. now, when you use automator's "move finder items", you can just click on the folder in the sidebar and the correct path will be chosen.

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I have a lot of task set up an Automator it depends on what you trying to do but if you incorporate terminal you shouldn't need to put anything in the sidebar

mv source.. target..

4. flat five thread starter macrumors 603

flat five

well, you only need to put it in the sidebar to get the path for the 'move finder items' dialog then you can drag⌘ it out (it doesn't have to stay in the sidebar for the workflow to run properly)
    much easier than going to the terminal (for me at least) ;)

but now, i have a different question and i can't seem to find an answer online with out running into a gazillion paragraphs that i don't under stand.

i have a super basic workflow.. literally 2 steps..

get specified finder items
    copy finder items

it runs fine from automator but when i try to run it as a service, it fails..

any simple explanation for this or way to avoid it from failing as a service?
    thanks