Automator PDF help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ianarchy, May 21, 2012.

1. Ianarchy macrumors newbie

I want to create a workflow (attached to a folder, I guess) where the postscript files I save to the folder are converted by Adobe Distiller and then the postscript files are deleted.

I've been playing with Automator for the last 5 or 6 hours and so far am not even able to get the files to convert or Distiller to open. Nothing.

I'm sure I'm just missing some easy steps, maybe someone more experienced with Automator knows what to do.

2. kryten2, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012

kryten2 macrumors 6502a

Use the Watched Folders option in Adobe Distiller. Put the postscript files in the watched folder and let Distiller do its thing. Don't know what version of Distiller you're using but it's there in Acrobat Distiller 7.

If you want to you can even use it with Applescript.

Attached Files:

3. Ianarchy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much kryten2. That's interesting, I had no idea that was a feature in Distiller. I'll experiment with it. Does it automatically delete the .ps files after they are converted?

Thanks for the screen shots as well, excellent response. Cheers.

4. kryten2 macrumors 6502a

If you look at the first attached tumbnail at Post Processing you'll see the answer is yes if you tell it to.
    Quote from the help section :

5. Ianarchy thread starter macrumors newbie

That's excellent kryten, thanks so much.

I'm just having a play around with it now. This could be the answer I'm looking for.

You wouldn't happen to have an applescript that makes a printer option in PDF to save as postscript to a specified folder?

6. kryten2 macrumors 6502a

You mean something like this :

Attached Files: