Automator Problem - Rename Finder Items

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BasilFawlty, Apr 15, 2012.

1. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Ok, so I am trying to learn Automator and I found a simple example on Youtube that will rename files. In this case, I want the automator script to asks me which folder to look in, then filter for just .mp3 files, then change the car of the filenames so they are all lowercase. The steps are:

1. Ask for Finder Items (Type:folders)
    2. Get Folder Contents
    3. Filter Finder Items (where File Extension IS mp3)
    4. Rename Finder Items << PROBLEM!!

In step 4, you get a warning asking whether you want automator to make a backup of the files. YOu can either add or don't add this). The problem I'm having is, when I finish adding the "Rename Finder Items" step, it immediately changes to a step called "Add Date or Time."

No matter what I try, I can't get it to add the step "Rename Finder Item"

I would appreciate of someone of you folks running Lion 10.7.3 could try this little automator script and see if you have the same problem at that step. Here is the tutorial I was trying to follow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq2lEsG68JU

2. kryten2, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

kryten2 macrumors 6502a

If you click the little up/down arrows besides the "Add Date or Time" you should see the change uppercase/lowercase option. In my case it's the third option. It's even demonstrated in the example on Youtube.

Attached Files:

3. BasilFawlty thread starter macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

D'oh! Yep, just overlooked that. Thanks!