Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
So how many of you have .dmg , .hqx , .zip , .html , .torrent blah blah blah ... kinds of files cloggin up your downloads folder? I do, and I brought in the help of Automator to clean that crap up and place it in folders or trash it all together.

Now I'll give you the basic formula and you can repeat the same actions as many times in one Automator program, or Workflow as they are called.

Program:
Finder
Actions:
Get Specified Finder Items (your download folder)
Get Folder Contents
Filter Finder Items (I do it by file extension)
Move Finder Items (If moving to another folder, you have to have that folder created already so the finder knows where to put it.)

If you simply want to delete the file type your filtering, then the last step would be replaced with the action: Move to Trash.
Hope this is handy to some of you guys. Cause up until this weekend I always thought it was a shame to never get comfortable with the Automator program. It actually is pretty easy to get the hang of. Once you get the hang of it, try the advance features such as saving as a plug-in for the Finder, or even a folder action. I still can't get the folder-action thing to work properly.
If anyone comes up with a modified version of this please tell me.
Late.

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
Thanks for that GimmeSlack12 - Just made it and, obviously, it worked like a charm. Then I did a little tweak for it to move a bunch of fonts I downloaded the other day to the font library. All stuff I could have done manually in, perhaps, slightly more time than making the Workflow. But now I've got it and demystified Automater quite a bit along the way :D

A

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.