Automator + Resize Images = washed-out pics. WHY?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jon08, Dec 18, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

So I recently decided to give Automator a try with batch pic resizing. I created a Workflow, then added the Resize Images option. Then I tried to resize pics to 1280x960 pixels. It resized them fine, but the outcome was the resized pics looked dull and not as rich in colors as the originals.

I also tried resizing by percentage, but same story.

Any idea why??? Does anyone else experience that?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What size were they, originally? If you resize from small to very large, you're going to lose image quality.

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

They were 3072x2304. But that doesn't seem to really play a role here - the quality itself seems just about the same. It's just the color saturation that is the issue here.....

Any ideas?

P.S.: I remember resizing pics in Picasa also produced washed-out resizes....

4. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Btw, I also tried the "Scale Images" option that works with Preview in Automator, and it surprisingly worked just fine. It resized the images + retained their original color saturation.

Why? I just don't get it. While "Scale Images" is fine for some very basic batch resizing, it's surely not as customizable as "Resize Images" option in Automator, though...

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I just tried it with Automator. I resized from 2560x1600 to 480x300 using Scale Images. I didn't see a "Resize Pictures" option. The results are here, with the resized pic inset. The colors seem to be the same quality:
    Picture 1.jpg

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

It sounds like a colorspace issue.

You wouldnt be going from Adobe RGB to sRGB or vice versa would you when resizing?

7. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, as I wrote in my other post above, I get the same quality colors with "Scale Images" too, as it utilizes Preview to scale images. But now with "Resize Images" option, which apparently utilizes Pixelmator which I also have installed, I get the color issue. I really have no clue why.

I'm not sure about this. I just tried resizing a couple of pics again - resizing them to 60%. I clicked Get Info for both the resized pic and original, and the profile and everything seems to be the same! Except that the resized picture's colors look more dull.

Here is the screenshot (on the left is the resized pic):

Attached Files: