Automator "Save as Application" Doesn't work!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacFan25863, May 21, 2007.

1. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Hey all,

I'm working on an Automator workflow which automatically records through quicktime then converts the recorded video to flash and uploads it to my FTP server. When I click the run button in Automator it works perfectly, but when I export it as an application it doesn't work!! Any ideas why?

PS: Here are the images of the said workflow:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

3. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Are you working on an intel Mac? If so, "save as application" creates a PPC binary, so it needs to run under Rosetta. I believe an app running under Rosetta cannot call intel binary apps (such as Quicktime), so that might be why you are having issues. Try saving it as "application bundle."

4. MacFan25863 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

How do you save it as an application bundle? I don't see that option.

5. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Uh, sorry, what I said applies to Applescript, but I am not so sure about Automator all of a sudden. Let me fiddle with it a bit...

In any case, could you do a "Get Info" in your application? Is its "Kind" listed as "Application(PowerPC)"? If not, then my hypothesis is worthless anyways.

EDIT: I just checked it, Automator is smart enough to save it as a Universal Application. Sorry, forget what I suggested...

6. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

OK, here is a second line of thought: Do you have QuickTime Pro? You may need that to enable recording capabilities. Of course, I have no idea why it would work in your workflow, but not as an application.

In any case, what do you mean by "it does not work". Does it give an error message?

7. MacFan25863 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

It's a universal app, and I do have Quicktime Pro.

Basically when I run the application quicktime opens and then just stays open, and the workflow doesn't continue. No errors or anything.

8. numlock macrumors 68000

and its up in the menubar, the red light and that spinning thing?

atleast thats whats happening to me right now

Pretty small and simple workflow that works perfectly while being tested in automator but nothing while as an application

9. MacFan25863 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

yeah thats exactly what is happening