Automator sending stuff to wrong folders

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sowillo14, Dec 17, 2007.

1. sowillo14 macrumors regular

Hello, I am trying to create an application/workflow that will scrape my desktop of jpgs, ai's, pdf's, and psd's, and place them in designated folders. I have so far put together two of the workflows, for ai's and pdf's. When I push play, it runs through just fine, however it is putting the ai's, and the pdf's in the same folder. I am confused. Here is a shot of what I have done so far that is not working right. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

2. numlock macrumors 68000

are the folders "pdf´s" and "new projects" on the desktop?

3. sowillo14 thread starter macrumors regular

No, one is in pictures, and the other in documents.

4. numlock macrumors 68000

Because thats a fault in automator it seems to automatically search subfolders as well. Strange that there such a huge discrepency between finder search and automator search which makes automator much less useful than it could be.

Do both sets of files always end up in the same folder either "pdf´s" or "new projects"?

5. sowillo14 thread starter macrumors regular

They always go to new projects, even if they are pdf files. However, if I just do the pdf workflow by itself, the pdfs go to the right folder.:confused:

6. numlock macrumors 68000

my guess is that the first part of the workflow hasnt finished when the 2nd part begins and the result is that all of the documents end up in the same folder.

You could try adding a few seconds of pause in between

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

So, I actually set up a test case to see what happens.

It completes the first part just fine, but then when it gets the 2nd batch of files and moves them to the 2nd folder it moves the first batch of files from the 1st folder to the 2nd folder. I even added a pause, but it makes no difference.

EDIT: Found a solution. After your second "Find Finder Items" command, put in a "Filter Finder Items" command, and set Name Extension is equal to ai.

8. sowillo14 thread starter macrumors regular

Brilliant!!! Thank You!!!

9. sowillo14 thread starter macrumors regular

Still doesn't work right. Now it won't even touch the pdf files. It just moves the ai's and that is it. Seems like you can't move to more than one location. Piece of crap.

10. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Hmm, strange, in my test run I got it to move a pdf to one folder and a txt to another folder.

Attached Files:

11. sowillo14 thread starter macrumors regular

12. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Did you look at my workflow in the previous post.

As a diagnostic tool, put a 10 second pause between each step, then open up a bunch of finder windows, one for each folder where something should happen, then monitor those folders throughout the workflow, this will help you diagnose which step is causing the problem.

13. sowillo14 thread starter macrumors regular

14. sowillo14 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey! Never mind it works! Thanks, I feel better now.:)