Automator w/ Dispense Items Incrementally?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by koosh1986, Dec 29, 2011.

1. koosh1986 macrumors newbie

Files Problem:
    Im moving about 1 tb of files from one hard drive to another but keep getting error -36 for some files. I believe im getting this error because the files are corrupt. I dont mind losing these corrupt files but the process is taking days because every time I try to move the files I get the error and the transfer stops, than I need to find the corrupt file and make sure I dont move it on the next try. so I was thinking maybe automator could help me in some way... or is there any other ideas?

Automator solution?
    I thought moving the files with automator and the Dispense Items Incrementally command action would be better because I could "easily" move the files separately from each other and avoid blocks of files not transferring because one was corrupt. Only problem is automator also gets the transfer error during the move action and stops the whole process. Is there a way around this?

1. get specified finder items (folder from Hard Drive 1)
    2. get folder contents
    3. Dispense Items Incrementally
    4. copy finder items (to Hard drive 2) - where the error occurs
    5. loop (needed?)

maybe there is a way to skip over the corrupt files? or some command for automator to continue even if the transfer fails?

thanks!
    2011 MBP - lion

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't think the -36 error necessarily means your files are corrupt. Many have reported the same error, without any clear resolution. You might try using Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the files to the other drive.

3. koosh1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

perfect! CCC worked the first time and told me which files were damaged and also tried to repair them, which it seems like it did.

thanks GGJstudios!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Glad it worked! CCC is a great tool!