Automator? Who used this and what is it used for??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mikebike125, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Mikebike125 macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

This being my first mac (2.4GHz 20" iMac) I see this automator program icon and I am not sure what it is best used for. If you use it, what tasks does it make easier and is it beneficial to one type of task or another. Thanks!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Apple has a great page about it, and Macrumors has a on it :)

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I use it for Finder actions.

Example: I have two computers, a download machine, and my computer. I made an Automator workflow that allows me to select a file (i.e. a bittorrent) right-click and hit my workflow 'send to other computer'. The workflow will automatically take the file, copy it to my torrent folder on my download machine, and run the torrent. Makes it easy to download torrents on my machine and get them going on the other machine without opening an FTP or VNC program.

Another action imports my music into iTunes and tags the files as a 'Complete album'. Then moves the files to the Music folder.

Another workflow takes all selected items and capitalizes the names. Or batch renames files. Or imports to iPhoto. Unistall programs (with AppZapper). Clean up my download folders of zipped files. FTP files locally and remotely. Change desktop picture.

You might get the point. I use it to do a lot of menial stuff.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I've used it for a few different things.

I used to use it to upload an image of my nike+ run data to my server, which would keep a forum signature updated.

At work, I use it to tag files with project numbers for easy finding. And I also use it to place dozens of images into Powerpoint, because I haven't found a way to do it inside of powerpoint.