Automator Workflow Finder Plug-Ins (10.6)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GimmeSlack12, Aug 30, 2009.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

So how do you use these now? The Automator contexual menu in the Finder is gone. Anyone figure this out?

2. cmaier macrumors G3

Create automator workflows as services (you can choose Service when you create a new workflow). Then, at the top of the right pane, you specify what kind of object it operates on. Finder then will present that as a choice in the contextual menu when you have that sort of object selected.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i like how its now done in Snow Leopard. when you save a service in Automator it saves to ~/Library/Services and appears in the contextual menu of whichever application you set, if it applies to that file/folder.

i made a service for AppCleaner to uninstall files.

Screen shot 2009-08-31 at 1.31.53 PM.png

(you may have to drag Finder from CoreServices.)

4. cmaier macrumors G3

I'm pretty sure in yours you should remove or disable the "get files from finder" step. Otherwise if you call your service with multiple selected items you will get an error. (But you do need to enable that step if you are testing the workflow within automator)

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

that step is so the Uninstall service only appears in Finder. tried it with multiple apps and works fine. any idea how to have it only appear for .app bundles?

EDIT: just tested it without Get Selected Finder Items and its faster. thanks!

6. cmaier macrumors G3

No idea how to make it only appear for .apps - I haven't peeked into it enough yet. I'm guessing it cannot be done from the GUI.

7. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Yeah but I don't want to move my mouse from one side of the screen to the other just to use the bloody services. I thought it was supposed to show up when we right click! I use a 30" screen I can't go across it to just want to e-mail a file.

EDIT: nvm... seems there is some sort of bug. Nothing shows up in the menu when I right-click but when I go to the services preferences under keyboard, and deselect then select an option, it appears in the menu..... odd. So I got my most important function working then. E-mail this file.