Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
ok, this is a question and a rant. sorry, but automator stinks.

i download automator actions or workflows (e.g. Get Safari Download Manager.workflow or extract files action) and the installer is supposed to install them. where are they when i need them? they don't show up in automator. where are they physically located?

i have to say i never use automator because it's not intuitive. why don't the downloaded actions/workflow show up in a section "downloaded actions" or so. and why are so many basic functions missing . and why can't i create loops? it's easier to use applescript and do it with that than to get automator to do something useful. adding a song to itunes and changing the computers volume is not useful.

i hope automator in leopard is either improved or dropped:mad:

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
ok, this is a question and a rant. sorry, but automator stinks.

i download automator actions or workflows (e.g. Get Safari Download Manager.workflow or extract files action) and the installer is supposed to install them. where are they when i need them? they don't show up in automator. where are they physically located?

i have to say i never use automator because it's not intuitive. why don't the downloaded actions/workflow show up in a section "downloaded actions" or so. and why are so many basic functions missing . and why can't i create loops? it's easier to use applescript and do it with that than to get automator to do something useful. adding a song to itunes and changing the computers volume is not useful.

i hope automator in leopard is either improved or dropped:mad:

Well just because it doesn't suit you doesn't mean it stinks and should be dropped. If you don't like it then don't use it, life's too short to get mad over a software application.

Actions as a default get loaded into /Library/Automator. Next time you open Automator they're right there in the list of actions. Workflows can be saved anywhere just like any other document. Leopard does add some useful functionality such as variables, but it's aimed at non-programmers so it's understandable that it may frustrate people who can cut code

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Well just because it doesn't suit you doesn't mean it stinks and should be dropped. If you don't like it then don't use it, life's too short to get mad over a software application.

Actions as a default get loaded into /Library/Automator. Next time you open Automator they're right there in the list of actions. Workflows can be saved anywhere just like any other document. Leopard does add some useful functionality such as variables, but it's aimed at non-programmers so it's understandable that it may frustrate people who can cut code

i wasn't serious about dropping automator, just frustrated.:eek: it's just that automator could be a great thing. if they just came up with a lot more basic actions.

seems i have to check my system because the actions simply don't show although they are in the library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.