automator

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by windels, Apr 29, 2009.

1. windels macrumors regular

windels

Hi,

I would like to use Automator to auto transfer files from my film folder to a folder on my externel harddrive. sort of an auto backup system. the problem is, the film titles will always be diffrent when they need to be transfered . I just don't get it to work. any ideas? or better solutions?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ok, so you want to transfer your files and rename them when you do it? First of all, why not use Time Machine. If not, then you can rename files with the "Finder: Rename Finder Items" action.

3. windels thread starter macrumors regular

windels

sorry, no, that was not what I meant, but my english fails me sometimes:p

what I meant that the name of the files that I want to move will always be diffrent. so when I say automater has to move the movie e.g. a clockwork orange etc than it won't work if another moviename has to be transfered.

also, I don't want to use time machine as I want it to be readable on windows.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If you're not afraid of the command line I would suggest using the rsync command. It's not hard to use if you want to lookup tutorials. An alternative, you can setup folder actions, which could allow you to setup something where when a new item is added to the folder it will take some action, like for you it would make a copy to another folder. I can't give a walk through on how to do that, but have come across tutorials on it.