Automount a HD attached to Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Enigmafan420, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

So I have recently purchased an Airport extreme and all is well with my network.

This morning I attached a small USB HD to learn how to use this as network attached storage.

It is working, but it will not auto-mount.

Per the Apple KB-there should be a setting in the disks section of the Airport Utility to automatically mount hard drives. It is not there.

I can access the drive by using the finder>go>network option which is fine for me, but would be too difficult for other members of the family.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks!

2. azdunerat macrumors regular

This is how I got mine to mount each time. Click your finder, select preferences and make sure show conncected servers is checked(mine wasnt for some reason. Make sure you have manually mounted the drive and it appears on your desk top. Next open your system preferences click accounts under the system items under the admin click on the login items tab next drag your mounted disk and drop it into the login items. Now everytime you start the computer it will automatically mount the disk.

3. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

That is hardly a solution. I rarely choose to turn off my mbp. I put it in sleep constantly and every time i wake it the drive has disconnected again, and doesn't reconnect

4. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

So I have done this and now I get TWO icons to the Network drive on the desktop. This method does work, however.

I am thinking that there must be a more efficient way though. I still do not know why I don't have the choice to "mount drives" in the Airport Software that Apple claims should be there.

5. azdunerat macrumors regular

Funny because every time my mini goes to sleep and I wake it my drive spins up and is mounted. I wonder if you have a problem somewhere in the setup?

6. azdunerat macrumors regular

I had two icons on the first go round then when I restarted the system I only had a single drive showing. After your initial set up the drive should mount every time you start the computer or wake it from sleep. Not sure how much more efficient you want it to be.

7. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Wasn't trying to complain-I REALLY appreciate your help! :cool:

I just am trying to figure out what the heck the Apple KB is saying since I never say the options they talk about.

8. azdunerat macrumors regular

Its all good, my replay was a bit harsh. Im not all that proficient with mac so I am not much help beyond what I have done. The steps for the auto mount were taking off the Apple tech forums and it was the only thing I found the worked. Hope you get it set up the way you like.

9. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Actually a full day after setting this up-it seems to be working. Only weird thing is I get two icons for the drive on my desktop. This is NOT a deal breaker by any stretch.

I purchased a WD 1 TB My Book Home last night which I will be connecting today. Hopefully this works the same way as the 60 GB Western Digital I used to "try it out".