Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
You know, there are times I'd love to do this. Basically I have an application (parallels) that automounts the fileserver (afp) on my home network when I run it. Cool. Unless I'm not on my home network when parallels has to sit there bounching for 10 minutes waiting to hear back from OS-X that it can't mount the drive.

So, I uninstall Parallels. Re-install. Start new Parallels. It mounts the flippin drive.

So in my ignorance I am assuming OS-X is doing it. How do I stop it? I've nuked the preferences files for Parallels. No change. It's not using a file on that drive, and as far as I know never has. Why oh Why?

And how did I set up this association between an application and mounting something? It would be a good trick if I knew what I'd done!

Thanks in advance folks. :confused:

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
Thank you so much for pointing that out, I was very excited for a while as that's exactly my problem. However, for me deleting the file did nothing.

I'll do a tour of the OS looking any other little file it might be hiding... any other hints very gratefully accepted.

Thanks again, that really sounded exactly the problem.

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
Yes I had, but I have infact solved it (at last!).

Finally gave up with looking myself and hit the shell, and found this folder:

/Users/<<username>>/Documents/.parallels-vm-directory/

Which has links to files on different drives including I presume a single miss clicked and ran a VM from my network backup drive at some point, and the soft-link was causing the auto-mount.

Thanks for you help, and I hope this helps someone else at some point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.