Autorun trojan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by muymal, Oct 13, 2011.

1. muymal macrumors member

Hi, I hope this is the right forum to post this.

I recently used my usb on one of the school computers and they warned me that there is a trojan installed on the usb. Is there anyway that this autorun.inf trojan can affect Lion? From what I have read, it seems it's only a windows side of thing? I ran ClamXAV on my user name and didn't find any effected files so hopefully, it's ok. I am also reformatting my usb by using the secure erase in disk utility and hopefully it will get rid of it... does that work?

Can anyone tell me if there is anything else I should check?

Thanks!

2. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Windows trojans don't work on OS X. You can format it, and securely should mean it's completely gone. I don't think there is anything else.

3. muymal thread starter macrumors member

That's good. Yea, that's what I was hoping is the case. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

4. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

Is it in any way possible for any malware to be transferred over USB on Mac OS X, though?

5. simsaladimbamba

Have you already read this?
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.
    Also know, that the term "virus" is often used to refer to other kinds of malware, but there are differences, which you can find out by reading the following:

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios

If malware is hidden in a file, and you copy that file, then yes. Otherwise Windows malware has NO means to run on Mac OS X.

6. derickdub macrumors 6502

You are most likely running into a false positive produced by your schools crappy anti-virus, or who ever informed you that this is a virus doesn't know much. Autorun.inf files are used by Windows for the "autoplay" function and more than likely is used to install a driver for the drive. That does't remove the possibility that this is a virus, but I highly doubt that it is.

I would format the drive anyways, since most of the drivers for flash drives are not needed and redundant, and only waste space.

7. yawns macrumors member

Mac Defender can be avoided by common sense, but it doesn't require a password. That Chinese PDF proof of concept trojan doesn't require a password, either. Though I guess its main point of entry is Safari and its insane default settings. The use of which may betray common sense, but I bet that's how most people use it.

8. muymal thread starter macrumors member

from my googling, I found there is a trojan out there that disguise as flash installer. But I don't remember installing flash or anything so I should be ok. As far as the autorun trojan goes, I did find a few sources that say some trojan manifests itself into the autorun.inf and exploit the fact that windows search and open that file automatically, thus installing the trojan. The infect computer will then attach the trojan to any new usb drive that comes its way.

From my clamxav run, it didn't find any infected files on my mac so I should good and as everyone says autorun.inf would only affect windows anyway... Although I might have used this drive with bootcamp... I should probably install avg on that side.