Autosave and Versions

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Qaanol, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

All right, I'm going from a 6-year-old MBP running Snow Leopard to a new Haswell rMBP running Mavericks, and one thing I know for absolute certain, is I definitely do not want to use Autosave or Versions, at all, ever.

So my question is, how do I completely disable, turn off, and eliminate both Versions and Autosave on OS X 10.9?

2. Qaanol thread starter macrumors 6502a

From what I understand, that System Prefs checkbox will make a dialog pop up, but the documents are still being saved in the background and the "revert" button in the dialog actually has to rewrite the original data over the file (which had been getting autosaved all along.) Am I mistaken?

And the method in the link to turn off Versions seems to operate on a per-app level. I'd like to set-it-and-forget it, so if I install other apps that want to use Versions, they too will have it disabled preemptively.

3. Bear macrumors G3

One of the things in 10.8 (might be the same in 10.9) is that you want to enable asking about keeping changes when closing documents in the General System Preferences.

Attached Files:

4. Qaanol thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have also heard of problems turning off Autosave/Versions for Xcode, does anyone know if it can in fact be done?

5. LDB75281 macrumors newbie