Autosave 'pages' files in word.doc format?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hakr, Apr 9, 2010.

1. hakr macrumors regular

Is there a way to automatically save "pages" files in word.doc format, or do you have to do it manually each time? I sure can't find a setting to do what I want.

Thanks.

2. hakr thread starter macrumors regular

Ferris? Ferris Bueller? Anyone? :D

3. davidcmc macrumors 6502

I was wondering that, too.
    Another problem: If you write a whole document and save it in .doc format, Pages '09 think's that you didn't save it yet. If you choose to quit the app, it asks to save the document. If you click the "Save" button (not the "Save as"), it was suposed to overwrite the old .doc one, but it asks you everything again (name, folder, format etc.).

Yea, I think Apple has made it to work this way. It's a simple way to rely on the .pages format and forget the .doc one. :p

4. hakr thread starter macrumors regular

Pretty arrogant, if true. Most of the rest of the world is writing, saving, and transmitting word processing documents in ".doc" format. All my clients use word. If Pages will not allow a permanent "fix" so it can recall and save in *.doc" format without operator intervention, then it is pretty much useless to me and a lot of other computer users.

5. davidcmc macrumors 6502

Besides that, I must admit that Pages '09 is much better than Word:Mac 2008.
    Moving, resizing and rotating objects is so much easier on Pages '09. I hate the way that Word puts every object "in line", as if they were texts, not a "floating" object.

Also, Pages '09 can rotate text boxes. Word:Mac 2008 simply doesn't rotate text boxes. You have to save it as an image and import to the document so you can rotate a image this time.
    It really sucks.

I'm always saving my documents as .pages and, when I need to send them to someone, I export a .doc one.

6. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

Based on experience of using OpenOffice set to save docs by default in Word format, I would say you don't want to deal with the formatting mess that would result from the constant export and import process. Also, sending docs to clients in MS Word format is just asking for trouble if they're only expected to view the docs - you should be using PDF. Sure, if you're collaborating with them and having them edit your docs then send them in MS Word format and deal with the formatting problems that will happen just as if you were sharing Word docs between PCs and Macs running MS Office instead of iWork.

I use iWork because it works for me - it generates very nice looking documents much more quickly than I can in MS Office and when I share them with others I write a PDF. If I am working with someone else I'll fire up Word and when the text is finished, I'll load it into Pages, finish formatting and export to PDF. The trick is to avoid the constant import and export. Work in the native format of the app until you need to move apps. OpenOffice set to .doc export will write files that don't look the same when you reopen them in the same program and that is unacceptable.