Autumn 2014 retina 13" - 4k support?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maev, Jul 6, 2014.

1. maev macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

As I'm currently using a heavy DTR brick windows machine, I'm slowly leaning with confidence towards retina 13" for a smooth and sleek experience. I'm a .NET developer (in terms of work environment I guess pararells can cover that) and I need a portable machine to make things on the fly (not only in .NET).

I need your advice. I'm fully aware that the answers to the below are pure speculation at this point, but I will deeply appreciate any kind of feedback.

1) Should I wait for the suspected autumn refreshment of the retina macbook line? I fear tha the difference being slim and I could save some time by buying the 13" now.

2) Is there a chance for full 60Hz 4k support coming to the autumn retina 13", or perhaps it's going to happen only after the broadwell refresh? I'm planning to get 4k monitor in few months, so while at home I see no reason why I shouldn't connect the new macbook to it and enjoy the tremendous desktop space.

Best!

2. Kiju macrumors member

By the looks of it, we might have to wait until Q1 2015 for Broadwell. If there is a speed bump happening, it will only be minor. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything groundbreaking.

That being said, it comes down to how long you can justify staying on your current machine and how much an upgrade vs. one later is worth to you.

3. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

honestly broadwell isn't coming till next year , and unless you can justify a 9month wait for better 10% better performance i see no reason to wait , especially for the 13 inch as you don't have a dgpu that your waiting for either . imo no reason to wait 9 months for something that may increase a little battery life and some performance

4. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

If you go by Intel's leaked roadmap for the NUC models then it sounds plausible that the U series processors in the 13" will support 4k @ 60Hz.

But to be honest, I don't think we will know for sure until these chips start dropping in machines optimistically later this year or more likely early next year.

Attached Files: