Autumn in Iowa

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by classicaliberal, Oct 9, 2011.

1. classicaliberal, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

I'm just a beginning photographer. Any advice is more than welcome! Took some test shots this week with my Panasonic GH2 (Lenses: New 25mm f1.4 Summilux Panasonic Leica, and 14-140 Panasonic lens). Really liked the fall colors that resulted... C&C welcome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tinman0 macrumors regular

Vnice. The depth of field on the 1.4 is amazing, but you need to widen it a little more on the close up stuff. It's a mistake i keep making when taking photographs of car logos up close and at an angle - only part of the logo is in focus, when i need to work a proper depth across the logo.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Very Good

Pictures, the more you learn about your cameras and depth of field, the better your results will be.....Remember the Picture Gallery at the bottom of the Forum lists.

Lots of advice and pictures there too!

4. classicaliberal thread starter macrumors regular

classicaliberal

I completely agree... I think I was just stuck on 1.4 attempting to get the 'most' out of the lens, but I agree several of those would have been better with a wider DOF. Good advice - thank you.

Good tip - maybe I should have posted these there instead? Maybe the moderator would move it?

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Nice pics. Some seem a bit soft but otherwise a nice set to begin with. If you would like some more advanced critique of your work, head over to the photography on the net forums and post your work in there. They can be quite brutal in there and newbies have been known to not come around for a 2nd round BUT, you can get some excellent, albeit blunt, critique of your work from more seasoned photog's.

6. classicaliberal thread starter macrumors regular

classicaliberal

7. asxtb macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

How do you like the 25? I've been thinking about getting it but the price tag is still a bit steep.

8. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I think that you are getting it down. I shoot 4/3's as well. I am in NE IA a lot in the fall, part of the Driftless Area, and it is gorgeous area of God's earth to be in. I think that you captured your subjects well with your lens. The only suggestion that I have is to hike more and take a lot more pics. Morels and other interesting flora will be sprouting soon. Increase you hiking and the number of subjects that you consider and you are golden. If you travel more ground you will discover more subjects. Don't forget to bring along a macro.

9. Melizard macrumors 6502

Melizard

I love these photos, thank you for sharing!
    The fourth photo doesn't seem to quite have enough in focus, and the last one has a distracting clump of flowers in the foreground. I love the soft colors in the first one, and the shot of the tomatoes is my favorite. Great job!

10. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

The main comment I have is that most of the shots here simply lack impact or meaning. Shallow DoF images of random objects typically do not make for compelling photographs.

Just as an example, what are you shooting in picture #4? What is your subject? Your reason for putting the focal point where it is? Your reason for choosing the given depth of field?

My point here is that it's easy to fall into the habit of taking shots for the sake of your gear's capability (I bought an expensive f1.4 lens so I'm gonna shoot wide open ALL THE TIME!!!1!!11), instead of using your gear as a tool to realize your vision. There's an important difference between the two, and IMHO the best images come when you let your mind dictate the picture, not the gear.

11. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind a critique, I would say the first photo would have been infinitely better if you had the sun behind you at sunset or sunrise, rather than facing it head-on.