AutumnBoard for iPhone 3.0?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Tokiopop, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Well, iPhone OS 3.0 is rumored to come out soon. And Apple will be giving a preview of it tomorrow. So, like the switch between 1.x.x to 2.0, lots of JB Apps wont work.

Now for 1.x.x there's SummerBoard, 2.x.x is WinterBoard, SpringBoard is already taken by Apple... So perhaps the next theme app will be called AutumnBoard? :confused:

What are your thoughts?

And before you start yelling at me, may I remind you this forum is called MacRumors :p

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Exactly, MacRumors. No one cares about the iPhone. :p

I vote for AutumnBoard or FallBoard.

3. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

They are showing us what their working on, it WILL NOT be out tomorrow.

I think that 3.0 will be out with the new revision of the iPhone in the summer and i cant see where winterboard can go ot get better and i assume that there will be a lot more 3.0/2.0 compatibility as all the apps store apps will be transferable.

do it will stay as winterboard

4. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Oh yeah... I'm going away to cry now :eek:

5. lawlotovcocktai macrumors newbie

No, no no. I think Fallboard sounds much too prone to crashing. Hah. Well, maybe no one else shares that view. But anywho! Autumnboard sounds sophisticated! Classy! We'll see what comes of it.

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I like the sound of Autumnboard. Although not as much as Winterboard.

7. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

The App Icon could be a leaf :D

*Canadians cheer* No, not a Maple leaf.

8. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

With the switch from Installer to Cydia. Plus the additional time before 3.0 release... I would assume we shouldn't have to wait too much time for the 3.0 compatibility updates through Cydia.

I don't see why they would need to change the name from Winterboard to Autumnboard... They will most likely just update the version for compatibility.

Winterboard has already established its name.

9. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Well why isn't WinterBoard called SummerBoard then?

I'm just predicting the trend.

10. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

Summerboard was created for 1.x but was never ported over to 2.x... the company just didn't do it.

So a guy named Saurik (the dude who created Cydia) made Winterboard for 2.x to do the same thing. Hence the name change.

http://www.saurik.com/id/9

11. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

I vote for Failboard, Lagboard, CrashBoard, Board of Never Ending Lag, Ram-Hog-Board, I-want-to-go-back-to-stock-Board, etc. etc....

Haha i am just kidding of course, i am DEFINITELY pro-jailbreaking in almost every feasible way...i am just attempting to, "in b4 anti-jailbreakers/Winterboard-lag-complainers hijack the thread"... :D

It's still too early to tell what 3.0 will bring and what conflicts it might cause with the jailbreaking community. As much as 2.0 put a dent into the need to jailbreak, it also showed that there is still a LOT to gain from jailbreaking, and so it will take nothing short of Apple giving most, if not all, the functionality that jailbreaking currently gives us for me to switch over. I am just very much in doubt that, due to certain hardware limitations like low RAM, that Apple will be able to give us more than jailbreaking has in order to entice those of us that are jailbroken to go back to stock. This includes Winterboard (which I think will stay as "Winterboard") and the ability to theme, which I believe Apple will still probably not allow...

I really do think that i am going to be extremely underwhelmed by the 3.0 preview...but here's to hoping that i am not...:cool:

12. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Enough with the 3.0 talk......I'm getting too excited...I dont want it to fail me.

13. koollectablz macrumors 6502

14. :Rob: macrumors member

I think

I think Apple is going to ship the 3.0 with the next iphone and put a price to upgrade for 2g and 3g iphones.
    This is going to push people with 2g to move to a new phone (their 2 year contract is almost done) and make more cash for Apple.

:D

15. LoMonkey macrumors regular

Haha, I find it funny that this thread was made. I actually bought AutumnBoard.com back in September 08 with plans of making an iPhone themes community, but got side tracked and abandoned the project. I even made a little leaf logo like someone mentioned. This thread made me smile.

16. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Heh, how about a surfboard? *glances at his sig* :)

17. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Could you post the logo? :D

18. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

19. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Yes. But I was wondering if he had the App Icon :rolleyes:

20. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

LOL he hasn't made an app. Read his post very carefully. ;)

21. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

;)

22. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

Yeah the leaf logo that is on his site. :rolleyes: Anyway I'm done.. you can imagine he made an awesome Autumnboard app that will make the iPhone achieve space travel if you want.

23. bradenwh macrumors 6502

I want to believe that there will be very little compatibility problems between 2.x and 3.0. I mean, do they expect people to port the 25,000 applications in the App Store to fit their new firmware? It's impossible.
    I'd like to say that there will be almost no issues, but we all know that's more wishful thinking.

24. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Most Apps have been reported to work, but not all.

I guess Apple have made 3.0 backwords compatible with 2.0 Apps. I hope this applies for JB Apps too :eek:

25. SpiroExDeus macrumors newbie

East of England and that's all you're getting.
    Hm...

Well we all now know that Winterboard has stayed as Winterboard for iPhone 3.0

Funnily enough though I ALSO thought of Autumnboard. It wasn't a new version of Winterboard, it wasn't a repository for themes (although that's a good idea as well).

MY idea was that Autumnboard could be a suite of apps for creating and editing icons, ringtones, graphics, keyboard themes, Cydgets etc. ON THE IPHONE ITSELF.

Unfortunately as I haven't got a Mac and can't afford one (which is why the idea is so appealing to me in the first place) don't yet know a jot of x-code and it'll be a long time until either of those situations will change (not much point of knowing x-code until you have a machine to write it on) I'm afraid it's just a concept. :(

Now if some fine young programmer (or 1337 HaXX0r if you prefer) has the skill to pull something like this off then, to misquote the Pet Shop Boys: "He's got the site, I've got the ideas, you've got the brains, let's make lots of money (or give everything away for free in an open-source stylee". While you're at it write an x-code editor/compiler for the iPhone.:p:apple: