Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zacmobile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Just started doing this today, my (administrator) account works fine but my wife and daughter are unable to connect to web on either Chrome or Safari. Upper toolbar shows wi-fi connected, parental controls are all unlocked. I haven't done any updates or installed any programs since it worked last, any ideas why it would just start doing this?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its possible that the wife and daughter's accounts are not connecting to your wifi but someone else's and its not fully connecting or operating. Verify that that its the correct wifi.

Also, try creating a new account that's not an admin and see if that works, or doesn't. Try upgrading your wife's account to administrator and see if that works.

zacmobile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Hmm, it seems to have corrected itself. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday switching between users and trying different things but nothing would make the other users connect, now today it's fine. o_O

zacmobile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Just started doing it again, but it's sort of connecting certain sites (youtube, google etc.) but not completely, a lot of icons around the page are displaying the broken image symbol. Most sites won't load at all, chrome says no data available. But my administrator account works fine. Like I mentioned previously, no sites are blocked on the parental controls for the underlings accounts, wi-fi is connected to the right router, what else might be causing this?
[doublepost=1465944186][/doublepost]Oh, and I forgot to say that I did change my wife's account to admin and that seems to be working fine now so it's just my daughters that's having issues. I don't want to change hers to admin for obvious reasons (daily time limits being the major necessity) They were working fine as secondary users for years and all of a sudden... not. I can't figure out what's changed.

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
This same problem was happening on my elderly neighbor's Mini upgraded to ElCap. We need to use Parental Controls to lock the dock icons - otherwise I keep getting support calls crying that [Mail,Firefox,iTunes,etc] have vanished off the dock. This Mini is connected to their Comcast box via Ethernet, so it's not a WiFi problem.

Like you, I found when logging out of the Managed account and into the Administrator account, that everything is fine. The short term fix was turning off Parental Controls - the user account did not need to be elevated to Admin privileges.

The long term fix was to downgrade to an older OS (Snow Leopard in this case.)

zacmobile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
The long term fix was to downgrade to an older OS (Snow Leopard in this case.)

Did you find it difficult to downgrade the OS? I had to do that on my iPhone after an update essentially bricked it and it was a pretty involved hair-pulling experience. I don't understand why my daughters account would have limited or slow connectivity though. I could see an OS bug causing no connectivity but just slow seems strange to me.

zacmobile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
It seems very erratic, her account was actually working well about an hour ago then she logged out for about 30 minutes and then when she logged in again no web pages will load in the browser saying "this site can't be reached, socket not connected" and sometimes "empty response, this site didn't send any data" but everything else indicates that internet is connected. However Youtube is working, albeit slowly, and won't load a few icons around the edge of the page.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
What's your internet provider? What kind of router are you using?
Check system preferences - network preferences to see if it has a self assigned ip 169.x.x.x or if it's something else.

Some ISPs have been having issues with IPv6 and are blaming Apple routers for this, so if that's the case you may have to adjust your router settings as well.

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
Did you find it difficult to downgrade the OS?

It was real easy the way I did it: I copied everything off, booted from a 10.6.3 installer on a USB stick, formatted the drive, and did a fresh install. Copying user space data back was a bit of a chore. Especially Photos/iPhoto - we were able to recover the pictures, but lost any further organization.

It seems very erratic, her account was actually working well about an hour ago ...

It was that way on my friends system too: We'd reboot and everything would be working fine. The next day I'd stop by and be told that the computer isn't working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.