AV Cable for iPhone / Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by littlelarry33, Dec 19, 2009.

1. littlelarry33 macrumors member

Is there any advantage to paying a hefty chunk of cash for the Apple branded AV cable over the other brands that sell for a fraction of the price?

2. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Yup. It'll probably work.

If you're on firmware 3.1.2, the cheap unbranded AV cables no longer work - Apple fixed that - the unbranded cables don't (yet) have the responder chip in them that the latest firmware requires to work to send AV out.

3. littlelarry33 thread starter macrumors member

4. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Well, I guess if they ARE genuine Apple cables, they should work. However, there are reports now of counterfeit cables claiming to be "genuine Apple" on the market.

Might be worth buying direct from Apple, unless a few $$ really matters to you, and you want to take the risk of the hassle of returning it, if it doesn't work. Your choice.

5. littlelarry33 thread starter macrumors member

I went ahead and bought the official component apple cables from Amazon because I had a gift card there. I guess going genuine will cause less troubles and I decided to go with the "HD" cables just in case some new touch comes out with true hd output, which in that case I would be set.

6. okiiii macrumors newbie