AV Component Cables and iPhone 3G S

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Jacquesmc12, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Jacquesmc12 Guest

Hey so i added both a movie and tv show to my 32gb iPhone 3G S running OS 3.1.2 They played fine on the iPhone it self, but when i hooked it up to my TV using the AV cables, i only got sound, and the video was playing on the iPhone. I double and triple checked the inputs and test my Wii out, so its not my TV. What could be the problem, is there a video out setting im not seeing, or are the cables deffective? Also i got a message that this device is not compatible with the iPhone but i get that with alot of devices like my iHome and it still works.
    Someone help
    Thanks
    John Curl

2. Resist macrumors 68030

So you are saying you tested your TV using your Wii on the same inputs? If not, you have to set the TV to view the correct input.

Not all cables work correctly with the iPhone, so I am going to assume you didn't get Apple component cables and that is why you got the "device is not compatible" message.

3. Jacquesmc12 thread starter Guest

My TV only has one input, so yes i tested both the iPhone and the Wii on the same input, the cables are Composite AV Cables made by Apple (Correction i said Component they are actually Composite)

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Are you using the old iPod cable out of the headphone jack? Those don't work. You need the one that connects via the dock connector.

5. Jacquesmc12 thread starter Guest

Yes im using the cable that connects via the doc connector

6. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Does other video play? ie YouTube/podcasts? If so then there is a porblem with the codec on the video file.

Are you set to the wrong video out signal on the phone? ie PAL vs NTSC: (settings>iPod>TV signal), because this will cause you not to see the picture if your TV and iPhone are not set to the same (most newish TVs will be auto by default but it's worth toggling the switch on the phone to see if it helps)

7. lollicup macrumors regular

that last part

it seems like there's dust inside your 30 pin dock connector on the bottom

here's what you should do

a) do a hard OFF mode on your iphone ( hold power and home button for 10 seconds until the device turns off)

b) Inspect the 30 small leads ( wires ) on the bottom of your iphone

c) grab your iPhone av cables and plug them in and out 5x times

d) blow both ends ( the cables and you iphone)

e) turn iphone on

f) Go to your iPOd settings ( scroll down on the main settings window) Make sure that video out is supported. Try both NTSC and PAL video settings

g) turn on tv

h) plug av cable into iphone

If you did everything correctly you should not get the " this is not compatible " message

If you do.. there's really nothing we can help you with :/

8. Jacquesmc12 thread starter Guest

I tried all of your suggestions above, and to no avail. I know the video works, because i used my friends Apple AV cables witht the same video and it worked. I think these cables may be defective, will try to send them back
    thanks for all the help. Will post more if i need more help

9. Jacquesmc12 thread starter Guest

Sent the cables back and got a new pair they work great
    Thanks to everyone for the help