AV preamp/processor

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mikeyredk, Apr 12, 2011.

1. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Hello I don't know if this forum is limited to Mac related home theater equipment couldn't figure it out from the about link.

I am trying replace my Toshiba SH-TX200 it is a pre/pro I would like to replace it with a like piece of equipment. It is connected to my Parasound 1206 Amp powering M&K speakers 2(5).1 system.

The reason I am trying to replace the Toshiba because it does not have HDMI and I have a maze of wiring that HDMI can clean up for me.

I read about some Pre/Pro units such as the Marantz av7005 that could be nice but pricey anyone know of an alternative?

Thanks

2. jcschlic macrumors regular

The Marantz you mentioned can be bought for 1400-1500 USD. If that's too much, check out a Emotiva. Here's a link to their pre/pro, the UMC-1.

http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm

3. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Some receivers have RCA outputs, so that may be an option as well. I looked into the Emotiva and there were a lot of complaints about it being buggy. They have a forum that has discussions about their gear that you should review before buying.

4. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the responeses; From a performance standpoint the emotiva would be perfect for me but, I would like a product with a touch more brand reputation then them. Any other options out there?

Thanks,

5. Kcdude24, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

Kcdude24 macrumors newbie

Very happy with my Denon 4310. Dual hdmi out to run my projector/drop screen and LCD setup, multi room controls, amp assign for room 2, preamp outputs and on and on. Have it paired with an emotiva XPA-5 200wpc x 5.

Might consider the integra/onkyo products.

6. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Did adding the Emotiva amp make much of a difference in sound quality? If so, what speakers are you using?

I have a 4311ci, which has a preamp mode that shuts down the internal amps. It won't save any money over the Marantz, which is rumored to be based on the 3311ci.