AV receiver

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gdesalvo@umail., Aug 4, 2007.

1. gdesalvo@umail. macrumors member

I just wanted some opinions for an AV received to hook up my mac, Xbox360, HD DVR sat TV and HDTV. I already have speakers and a subwoofer. What do you guys think of:

Sony STR-DG1000
    Onkyo TX-SR605
    Harman Kardon AVR-445 or AVR-645

I'm open to other suggestions in the 300-600$ range:

What I'm looking for is a receiver with 1 HDMI input and 1 HDMI output (ill use an external switch to select the right input) that supports 1080p passthrough and needs to support the sound through HDMI.

The box size and weight are not a concern, so something with a decent power supply/board that isn't going to give out after two years.

I don't plan on using component and the xbox360 up-converts all the signals over HDMI so I do not rely on the up-converting feature of the AV receiver. The passthrough quality is all that matters to me in this case. if it has 3 HDMI inputs i guess that would be nice too but im worried about video quality and can always purchase a decent switch later.

5.1 surround at least. don't really need THX.

Thanks to all that reply with ideas :)

2. LBmacman macrumors member

If it helps, I have an Onkyo reviever (before HDMI was "standard") and it does lovely 1080i with optical 6.1 surround. I definitely recommend Onkyo, and buy some Sony speakers separately. Just don't get one of those "Home Theater In a Box" kits and you'll be fine.

3. Angrist macrumors 6502

I'd avoid Sony, they make ****** hardware.

Onkyo and HK both have great reputations for audio components.
    Personally I'd go with one of the HK receivers, but thats mostly based on my positive experiences with HK and Infinity gear.

4. sndcj1 macrumors member

My personal favorites are the Denon line. The 787 or 887 might be worth a look at. I have found that because of price, buying refurbished units of last years models might be worth it.

5. gdesalvo@umail. thread starter macrumors member

Nice receivers, I was looking at something with HDMI 1.2 or 1.3.

I'm a bit worried about the Onkyo powerboards, they used to blow fairly easily. Anyone had problems with their receivers lasting a short time lately? Id like it to last at least 4-5 years

Also does anyone know if HDCP is a problem with a switch? technically it shouldnt...but...you know...

I'm really torn between the onkyo and the HK at this point, would love if anyone has either to post some comments on them.

Thanks again to all those who posted.

6. Nobody Famous macrumors newbie

Funnny You Should Ask ...

I am in the process of choosing an A/V receiver myself.
    While I'm not in a knowledgeable position to speak to any of the receivers you're asking about, I did find a gem of a tool to help with the process:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FZCyWIeePox/app/product/category.aspx?c=4

Click on "Receiver Recommender" to answer a handful of questions, click the "compare" box to see the receivers' features in side-by-side comparisons, and pick the winner!

Hope this helps.

7. gdesalvo@umail. thread starter macrumors member

yeah they don't have HK on that site though and it's my favorite so far. It's coming down between the SR605 or the HK AVR645. Hard to pick between two excellent receivers. May pay the extra 100$ and go for the better looks of the HK.

8. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I'd personally go HK, but Onkyo makes good receivers as well. I think you are fine either way.

9. gdesalvo@umail. thread starter macrumors member

Yeah they are both very solid receivers. I guess the final test is to run them both past the wife and see which one she likes best. Probably gonna be the HK just because of the LCD display knowing her. Thanks, will update when i buy it on monday.