AV software installs failing

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by rickprice, Jul 15, 2015.

1. rickprice macrumors newbie

rickprice

I have tried to install both Sophos and Avast on my MacBook Pro (16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSHD). Both are failing to install when they reach the 'validating packages' stage. No real error message except that they are failed.

Any suggestions or work arounds?

2. rickprice thread starter macrumors newbie

rickprice

Seems to be an OS X Beta 3 issue with Java. Lots of Eclipse failures on the Dev boards. Other tools too.

3. chama98 macrumors regular

I dont understand why this fascination in installing antivirus software. You don't need it. It slows down your mac and can add trouble. If you really need antivirus then get a free one of the mac app store

4. Hook85 macrumors member

Hook85

I'm glad to see you keep repeating the same post in several threads. Broken record anyone? ;)

5. randomgeeza macrumors 6502

Kettle calling pot black.... LOL.

6. howi macrumors newbie

howi

Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.6 (RU6) is also a no-go with El Capitan with error half-way during the installation. 12.1.5 (RU5) is incompatible right at the beginning. Only the migration from Yosemite to El Capitan will "carry over" the existing SEP 12.1.5 (RU5) and seems to remain functional for the most part...

7. KALLT macrumors 601

Perhaps it has something to do with System Integrity Protection as well. You could disable it by booting into the recovery OS (hold cmd + r when booting) and then look for the utility to disable it. I wouldn't recommend doing this though. Since El Capitan does bring some new security policies to OS X, it is probably a good idea to wait until the anti-malware software has had time to catch up. Even if you are able to install it now, it might not work correctly anyway. If you really need anti-malware software, use the less intrusive and highly regarded ClamXav.

8. howi macrumors newbie

howi

KALLT,

Greetings.

Thanks for your tip and it is indeed the cause. After disabled System Integrity Protection, it has got it installed and running properly. Besides this, another security software, IBM Security Trusteer Rapport, also able to run again. So you are right, it is the more proactive "rootless" measure with El Capitan.

9. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

why not just use something passive like Clam AV and manually scan once a week or whenever...I personally do not use an a/v with Mac OS, pretty much a waste

10. telluridebound macrumors newbie

11. Donfor39 macrumors 65816

Donfor39

I'm unable to help, though I've been using avast a/v for a few yrs no probs at all.