AV software ...... Not as clear cut as I first thought.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by *old-guy*, Dec 21, 2008.

1. *old-guy* macrumors regular

I have read many threads on these forums about if Anti-virus software is needed on a Mac or not. The general consensus seems to be that AV software is not required unless you work alongside Windows based machines and you are worried about passing a virus on VIA your Mac.
    The downside of running the AV software is that it tends to hog resources.
    But here's a thought. When I used a Windows based PC, I had the AVG software running, in the background, all the time that I was connected to the web. It would warn me of any potential threats. Also, once a day, it would do an update of the virus info and do a full scan of the PC. During this time the PC ran a lot slower than when the AV software wasn't running.
    But I also used AVG in another way. Whenever I downloaded anything from the web, for example, a film, I would always, always, always download it to a special folder on my desktop and then, before doing anything else, I would use AVG to scan the file for any nasties.
    THAT would be my one objection to the folk who say that AV software isn't needed. Surely if you inadvertently download a nasty from the web, even though it can't do you any harm, it's better to know it's there so you don't pass it on.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Correct. The only reason for running anti-virus on a Mac is to stop your computer from spreading Windows viruses to Windows users.

But, there again, why would you want to do that? :rolleyes:

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is kind of a senseless debate... if you want AV software, go ahead and use it. No one is stopping you. I run it on my Windows PC, but I don't run it on my Mac or Linux computer. Why? Because there are almost never Windows PCs without AV, and since their AV will catch the virus on transfer anyway, why bother looking for it on the Mac?

But again, that's my choice -- no one is stopping you or anyone else from running it. So go for it.

4. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

Because there are almost never Windows PCs without AV, and since their AV will catch the virus on transfer anyway, why bother looking for it on the Mac?

Because the person who gets the virus will blame you as the sender.
    Doesn't that bother you at all?

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No, it doesn't. They're running Windows, it should be all to apparent to them the need for them to be running AV.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Why would you send anyone random file you downloaded off the 'net? At most you might send them the URL so they can get it themselves. I don't worry about PCs that I don't own.

7. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I don't even have anit-virus software on my PC. :D

8. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I do :D

However it is disabled because I don't want to pay for a subscription to Norton.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you really want it, FWIW, AVG is free and quite good.

http://free.avg.com/