availability finder hates color-blind people

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BrewDoggie, Jun 29, 2007.

1. BrewDoggie macrumors newbie

2. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

They're all available at every store in every state.

3. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

well

red + green = brown

so if u are color blind those must be all brown

4. eskimayo macrumors newbie

if your on your mac there is a utility in the utility's folder (color picker i think)that will give you the color thats under the mouse, if you really want just compare the dots on top to the ones that show if they have them, a little bit of a pain but a great thing to use if you cant tell the colors apart

5. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

I had never heard of that before. I'll have to go check it out when I get home.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If you happen to be on a Mac, ctrl-option-apple-8 can help with hard-to-read text colors.

7. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Actually, there is more than one type of colorblindness.

This was just bad design on Apple's part. But on their behalf, it was probably rushed... shapes + colors would have been better.

8. juanm macrumors 65816

There's a digital colormeter (aprox name, my OS X is in French) under apps/utilities. It gives you RGB values and a small magnifier.
    Also, you can try holding ctrl and at the same time scrolling. It'll zoom on the cursor. You see, Apple doesn't hate you that much!

On the other hand, say to yourself that color-blind people were in the past genetically better, as this anomaly helped them to hunt without being too confused by the camouflage patterns in nature. And you probably have a better night vision.

Go hunt a mammoth!

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Great tip!

It's kinda funny how, once we've encountered functions like that numerous times as "funny tricks to play on people", we start to forget they are actually useful to lots of people out there.

10. eskimayo macrumors newbie

the color invert command is great, i remeber when i was working at the apple store and they had the add with the color streeks and people waving around the ipods, it looked amazing inverted

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Indeed. Since at least WW-II, the military has used color blind soldiers to spot enemy camouflage setups that ordinary people were fooled by.

As for using red/green on websites, yes that's a typical mistake.

A similar mistake is in backgrounds for handhelds. For most devices used outdoors, you really want a light background and dark characters. It's also easier on the eyes because of less contrast. Sure, black looks cool, but...

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Using red and green buttons (or whatever colors they are) that some of us can't distinguish is fine as long as you also use another visual indicator: different shapes, different patterned surfaces, even different shadows. A proper interface design won't rely only on the colors.

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

it was probably rushed, Apple's accessibility people are pretty good about things usually.

If you're really that disgruntled, try contacting the accessibility team at accessibility@apple.com

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

So we can explain the facts to them in black and white? :D

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

Yes :D

Given the amount of useless stuff I know has been sent their way by more than one newbie, I'm surprised they're so open about contact info, but hey. Better than nothing.

16. Andrew.s macrumors regular

Andrew.s

They're using shapes now.

Available: circle
    Unavailable: square