Availability in New York City?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gusnyc, May 11, 2011.

1. gusnyc macrumors 6502

Hi! I've been looking for an iPad 2 in NYC for the last week without success.

There is any Apple store in Manhattan that I would have more chances to get one? (64-ATT-BLK). I would prefer to get it in the store instead of online.

Thanks for your suggestions/tips.

Gus

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Apple Store West 14th Street
    401 West 14th Street, New York - (212) 444-3400

Apple Store SoHo
    103 Prince Street, New York - (212) 226-3126

Apple Store - Fifth Avenue
    767 Fifth Avenue, New York - (212) 336-1440

Apple Store - Upper West Side
    1981 Broadway, New York - (212) 209-3400

3. gusnyc thread starter macrumors 6502

MCDJ, thanks for the time you took to write your arrogant, meaningless, smart ass reply.

Poor thing.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

yeah, phone numbers to a store you want info about are totally meaningless. sorry, didn't realize you wanted someone to go to each store for you and liveblog the stock status. good luck.

5. gusnyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Poor angry kid. I am sorry you don't understand how to behave in a forum.

6. PDiPietro macrumors member

PDiPietro

Uh, he's completely right. Just call the store or go to it. It's not that difficult.

7. gusnyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Obviously that's what I've been doing. You probably know the response from the Apple store is just vague and general (I called all of them).

I also visited all of the stores, at different times of the day, and I went a couple of times in the morning to the Soho store before they open, and they didn't have the 64Mb.

I am asking here if somebody knows, by experience, by friends, by contacts, if there is a store who receives more stock than others, where, for any reason, there is a bigger chance of success, so I can focus on that particular place.

Gus

8. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

u can try staten island apple store too they seem to be stocked all the time.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Are you willing to drive 30 minutes? The Garden State Plaza is a sure thing. Just get there when people line up at 8:30AM (the mall is opened for mall-walkers before the stores actually open.)

10. PDiPietro macrumors member

PDiPietro

The easiest solution, if you have the time, is to keep getting to stores in the morning. Their shipments are completely random -- the store local to me (which has high customer numbers) said that they don't get every sort of model in at the same time. I walked in at about 6:30 yesterday and they happened to have a bunch of Verizon models still in stock (the AT&T ones apparently sell more, though I wanted one on Verizon, anyway) and I walked out with a 32GB+3G in black. It had a piece of dust under it and I was still able to go in this morning to exchange it.

I imagine Apple Stores themselves have highest priority for shipments, so pick one that's most convenient to you and keep trying.

11. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Hint: Getting b**chy immediately because responders didn't psychically know exactly what information you did and didn't want and provided the wrong possibly-helpful information is not likely to prompt them to provide the information you are looking for even if they have access to it.

12. gusnyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

Dr Kevorkian94, Mac/nCheese and PDiPietro, thank you very much for your suggestions. I really appreciate them. I may combine your tips and go early in the morning to the Staten Island and/or the Garden State Plaza to see if I have better luck.

Porcupine8, I apologize if I offended you (or anybody else). Yes, I got bitchy, but I am not expecting anybody to "psychically" know the answer I am looking for. I just think this is a forum where people help each other. Posting a snarky reply with a list of the stores is, in my opinion, just trying to be a smart ass.

Gus

13. Janet1 macrumors member

I don't know about the Apple Stores in New York City, but around here, unless you already had one on order that's come in, they're not going to confirm their stock on hand over the phone.

The reason for that is because if they tell you that they've got a whole bunch, just sitting on the floor, by the time you get there, they could be sold out.

I may not be positive that the Apple Stores in New York follow suit, for that same reason, but actually, I think I might be willing to bet money on it. I may live in Chicagoland now, but I was born and raised in Manhatten and can picture just how ugly that could get, especially in NYC.

@ Op, sorry I can't be of more help.

14. gecis macrumors regular

Apple 5th Ave store, they get their shipments at 7am every Saturday. A friend of mine works there. Fyi, even the store employees dont know what Apple sends them until they open the shipment. So I doubt that anyone will be able to confirm the shipment for you for the specific model you are looking for. But thinking that the 5th Ave store being Apple's flagship store in NY, chances are high that you could score one there. best of luck!

15. gusnyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Many thanks!

Janet and Gecis, thanks for your suggestions. I will let you know if I have any luck.

16. chazmink macrumors member

J and R has white 64 gb,wifi, Verizon and AT&T in stock now. I think you can call them, order and pick it up at the store. I ordered one on the phone on Tuesday and it is being delivered today.

http://www.jr.com/brand/apple/n/4294028126/