availability of customized models in apple stores

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mulraven, Jun 12, 2012.

1. mulraven macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I need help with a question as I don't know anything about the model availabilities at apple stores. :confused:
    I am planning to buy the base model for new retina macbook but a part of me says that I should go for the model with 16 gb ram. So the question is do apple stores usually keep base models with upgraded rams in-store or is online store the only way for me to buy customized macbook?

I searched around the forum to find an answer but I couldn't find anything recent so I felt the need to start a new thread.

Thanks for sparing your time. :)

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

From what I hear, the only 16GB model in store is the top end with 2.7 CPU upgrade and 768GB SSD.

Things may change in the coming weeks.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some stores may have some BTO (build to order) models, but the only way to be sure is call the store. Usually BTO models are only available consistently online.

4. thetechteen macrumors member

Can anyone confirm this?

For example.. do you think the stores will have any 2.6 models with 16gb RAM?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I said, only your local store can confirm what they have in stock beyond the base models. A simple phone call will give you the answer. No one in this forum can tell you what your local store may or may not have in stock.

6. thetechteen macrumors member

Gotcha.. I was told by Apple over the phone that NONE of the stores carry bto models of the retina mbp, but I will call at 10 and report back guys. From Southern California btw.

7. thetechteen macrumors member

alright, just called, the guy at the store said they never get shipments of upgraded machines to the store, at least not so far with the retina MBPs. He said i could do an order online and do in store pickup but it would probably be just as fast to get it shipped to my house. He said they did have a small number of base model retinas in the store though : / I wish i didn't need the 16gb raqm!!!!! :(((( 2-3 weeks for me :(