Availability of Products on Release Day

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by backwithblack, Oct 5, 2008.

1. backwithblack macrumors newbie

First time poster. I tried searching for this question but didn't really find anything directly on point. I know that the new macbooks aren't definite but with the October 14th date looking more and more likely (at least for an announcement), I had a fairly simple question.

How available have past macs been on release day? This will be my first Apple Computer purchase and I'm not sure if this is something that will be hard to find soon after their release.

I know that the iPhones were tough to find for a while (as I learned firsthand) but I figured that computers are a different animal altogether. Again, sorry if there is a thread on point somewhere else. Thank you in advance!

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

sometimes they are available right away like the penryn macbook pros in february. However, i know for the macbook air, they only shipped 2 weeks later, and it was difficult to get a hold of one for awhile.

3. backwithblack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer! I figured it would depend on the product. Hopefully they'll be relatively easy to find.

4. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

I used to work at the retail store in Chicago and it varied depending on a lot of factors when a product was available directly after launch (event or not). iPods are usually available immediately. Computers are a different story. Unmarked boxes would arrive usually the day before or on the same day. Depending on the instructions with the shipment floor models would be updated the next day or even up to a week or two. It depends. If you're hoping to pick up a new release item always call in advance and have the store put it on hold for you. Make sure your contact over the phone has the item in their hands... Some seasonal employees promise what isn't there!