Availability to touch b4 5pm

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vfr, Mar 7, 2011.

1. vfr macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the ipad 2 will be available to play with prior to the 5pm time on 3/11?

2. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    It will not. At a few minutes before 5:00 local time, the employees of the Apple store will take the black drapes off the store windows and then everyone will be able to get their first look at the new iPad2. After that, people will be allowed to enter the store (I think they only let in about 20-25 at a time, depending upon the local fire regulations and the store's capacity), and then that is when you'll finally be able to pick up a new iPad2, touch it, play with it....and buy one!

3. mtkagan macrumors member

what about regular customers throughout the day? I need to buy a 13 mbp. will i be able to go in at 5 and skip the line by wanting to buy my mbp AND the ipad2? or are they going to restrict all customers regardless if you are buying an ipad 2 or not

4. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Sorry but I think they will be closing the store for prob an hour while they "setup". Nice try, but this isn't their first rodeo. Did you honestly think that would work?

5. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

You're free to buy that mbp or anything else you want before the store briefly closes but at the 5pm reopening the people waiting to buy the iPad 2 will be able to make their purchase.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Calling Apple would be an awesome way to answer this question.

7. duffer6 macrumors 6502

This reply made me laugh. I love the logic. Makes sense to me. LOL :p

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I know and calling Verizon gave me the answer to the activation charges. Crazy times eh?

9. mtkagan macrumors member

I've never been to a release at apple before as I've always opted to order online, but seeing how I'm off that day I figured it was worth a shot. thanks

Thanks man. So after 5pm the store will be open ONLY to ipad 2 customers?

10. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Think of it this way.. it's open to whoever is waiting in line. They'll be expecting you to buy an iPad 2 but last time this happened I got an iPad 3G and an Airport Extreme.

11. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    They won't let anyone cut in line. You would have to go to the rear of the line, regardless of the reason you're there. The store will be open all day until around 4:00 or so, and that would be the time to go and purchase your MBP or anything else you need. When the store reopens at 5:00 it will be expected that customers who have been waiting in line are there to purchase an iPad and accessories, not something else altogether.

I remember a couple of years ago -- must've been an iPhone launch -- we were all lined up and waiting and this couple came along, stopped at the Apple store, looked confused at the black curtains and the closed doors, gazed blankly at the line for a moment, and then I heard one of them say to the security guard outside the doors, "we're just here to buy a MacBook Pro today, can't we go in?" They got the headshake. Oh. What were all those people standing around in line for? An iPhone. This is an iPhone Launch. Oh. Well, couldn't they go in ahead of all those people waiting in line for the iPhone? Another headshake and the explanation that they'd need to go to the end of the line (which by this point was rather long). They stared at the line, then looked at each other, shrugged and walked away.....

12. admanimal macrumors 68040

In the past I think I have also seen them let in people with Genius Bar appointments, but that was several years ago for the Tiger launch I think.

13. Davichi macrumors 6502

Is this a joke? Apple will not let you in until 5PM. You will have to wait in lines just like others.

You won't be able to touch iPad 2 until store opens.