Availability Tool has iPhone sold out across the US?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pavvento, Jul 25, 2008.

1. pavvento macrumors 6502

So I've been using the availability tool during the day (by changing my clock's time) and it has worked great. I finally decided to go tonight and before going I went onto the website, and every model is listed as a red square in every Apple store across the country. I tried calling my store but was on hold for over a half hour. What do you think?

2. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I called like 20+ AT&T stores around here and was told by 4-5 of them that they are sold out across the country EXCEPT at some Apple stores

I know the one in Baton Rouge around here had some last night but not sure about today

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Every Apple store in my area has stock of every kind of phone as of this minute.

4. RFrancis macrumors newbie

From what I hear, they get em in by morning and sell out by afternoon.

5. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Available here in all the Apple stores in Michigan... I was in the Apple store today at 1:00PM and they had a bunch of them sitting around (Granted there was a small line outside the store)

6. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

All NJ/NY stores are sold out...which I find odd because 5th Ave. always has them in stock...or they should atleast.

7. wronski macrumors 6502

Not according to the availability checker. Mostly all in stock.

8. creeman macrumors 6502

Actually, if you look now, only 3 Apple stores have no iPhones.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

10. dooker777 macrumors member

I see a lot of green right now. Check again.

FWIW, I picked mine up at an Apple store earlier this week. I had to pick up a laptop that was being fixed under warranty. I arrived right before the store opened, and asked if they received a new shipment. They did and the line was short. The night before the website listed the store as being sold out. There is some randomness to this, because we don't know where and when the shipments go.

11. pavvento thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess they put them all as sold out to get an accurate count for the weekend. My guess is there will be a lot in stock this weekend, but that's just a guess.

12. wronski macrumors 6502

I'd bet on it.

13. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

There was a bug in the system when he posted this thread. For a while, Apple's availability tool showed every store in the country to be out of stock. There was an article on here, then it was removed because Apple fixed the problem.

14. RFrancis macrumors newbie

I wonder when it will get back to normal, where you may walk into an Apple Store and purchase an iPhone without any lines... :confused:

15. p3gamer macrumors newbie

Does that bug still exist?

I checked after 9PM and after 12 AM and most stores in the US had them in stock. Now its 6 AM 2 hours before the store opens (EST time) and they are all out in nearly all, if not all stores. So either the bug still exists or they need to change the time you look at the availability tool.

16. p3gamer macrumors newbie

Ok, I think I know why at 6AM, the availability tool goes screwy. 6AM(for example) is considered a new day(ex. Saturday 7/26) and the availability tool checks for the next day, so my guess is that the reason why the appears sold out hours after saying their available(and the store is closed) is because they expect to sell out or are unsure of their numbers for the next day.

I went to the apple store today (Sat 7/26) in CT. They were open at 8AM. I was the 20th in line. They handed us tickets that guaranteed us a phone if we came back before 6PM(if you didnt feel like waiting in line). Each ticket varied based on the type of phone u want. There was a good stack of tickets. (thicker stack I'm guessing was for 8 GB black, thinest stack 16 GB black). The manager said they had lots of phones, quote "we haven't as many phones since the launch" So I believe they have a lot for this weekend, but it also depends on the store/state.

17. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Not when I looked last night...weird.

1000 posts!

18. RFrancis macrumors newbie

I don't trust the "Availability Checker"... every time I called a few Apple Stores they seemed to have some stock regardless of what the Checker reported. BUT---the lines are still a few hours in length and they sell out by afternoon. That's what I hear from various store employees.