Availability - Why is it so bad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shenfrey, Jun 2, 2011.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Not even the Ipad 1 was this bad and they have more models available now. Everywhere I look they are out of stock, (I am talking about the UK here) All the main retail shops even the apple stores! I asked a few employees about when they will have them in stock and well.. just imagine a scene from jingle all the way a second where he asks about Turbo man.. I pretty much got that response! (Only I wasn't allowed to lift them by their collar :p) I eventually ordered one off of Ebay.

Anyway thats my question, now I will post my reasons as to why I have ordered an Ipad 2.

I own an Ipad 1 and it has become my main computer, even replacing the desktop (However I still use my Imac of course when I am in my office for some quiet alone time) but for everyday usage, its my Ipad. Wether its in the living room or in the garden or in bed its always my Ipad. Now the main reason I am getting an Ipad 2 is its size and weight, holding my Ipad 1 for a certain period of time does eventually start to make my hands and wrists ache, and I am a fairly built guy who works out 3 times a week. It just got to heavy even for me, (well not heavy, just uncomfortable) I have been using an Ipad 2 (my friends house) for a while and its yet to tire my arms and it feels great in my hands and so much more lighter and its just ALOT more comfortable to use overall. THATS the main reason.

Other reasons are yes the cameras nice, having it in white is also nice and the duel core (future proof?) of it all is nice to have.

But yeah guys going back to my question, why is it so hard to get one even a few months after its release? Are they really THIS groundbreaking that EVERYONE wants one? Thanks guys.

2. madat42 macrumors regular

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

"More models" only means that production is more fragmented, not that they're producing more of each. While production has certainly ramped up beyond that of a year ago they also rolled out to far more countries much earlier than they did with the first iPad, so it's a vastly larger pool of buyers.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Because more people want them than are available for sale.

5. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

Supply, demand and im sure a bunch of other factors we know nothing about. People want the iPad.

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The production capacity at the factories has a finite limit. IIRC, Foxconn opened a factory in Brazil to help meet demand. When a factory explodes, you can also bet that'll further constrain ipad2 supplies.