Available disk space decreasing and increasing randomly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sparks2303, Jul 9, 2012.

1. sparks2303, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012

sparks2303 macrumors newbie

I've looked at some of the threads with a similar problem, but I only found questions about space decreasing. Mine increases as well, after no action from me, with no files left in trash.

When the space decreases, it usually settles around 2-3gb, and when it increases it never goes back up to where it should be. When I restart the computer the number looks accurate (around 10gb at the moment), but it never stays like that for long.
    I've only noticed this problem a couple of days ago, at a time when no applications were downloaded or removed.
    I ran a disk check and it came out fine, virus check also.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?
    Please and thank you!

Edit: I should add that I have been using Photoshop during this time, and when I did close the program the space increased significantly. However, the number was acting up still while the program was closed (PS wasn't open the whole time I was on the computer).

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Temporary work space may be freed up when closing apps or documents. Also, if you're paging and your memory demands decrease, some swapfile space may be freed up.

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

3. sparks2303 thread starter macrumors newbie