Available Hard Drive Space Inconsistency

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Littleodie914, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Littleodie914, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hey guys, I'm trying to install Lion to a separate partition on an Intel G2 X-25M SSD. I haven't had any problems with the drive up until now.

See the screenshot for a good explanation. Finder thinks I have 23GB (which is correct, I started with 13GB and cleared a few things out, upping the available space), but Disk Utility thinks I have 12GB, and Boot Camp thinks I have less than 10GB.

I made sure the Trash was emptied, and I also restarted my machine after emptying just to make sure everything was properly updated. :confused: I have repaired the disk permissions, and also verified the disk, things appear to be fine.

Code:
    Sputnik:~ Craig$ df -H /
    Filesystem     Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s2    80G    56G    23G    72%    /
    Edit: (Second Screenshot) Interestingly, if I select the only partition on the drive in Disk Utility (instead of selecting the drive itself) the free space is reported properly. The miscalculation only appears when trying to create a new partition. (See second image.)

Edit 2: (Third Screenshot) Things are getting weirder. When I select an item and try to move it to the trash, I see a dialog notifying me that the item will be deleted immediately. (I've seen this before, I think it was when working with a network drive.)

Attached Files:

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

3. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Nope, I'm the owner of my home folder, and permissions are 700. Trash directory inside my home folder exists, and permissions are also correct.

As for the base # switch, this is a much more significant difference. :) Thanks for the tips!