Available HDD space on the 13" air with 128gb drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jlmcclellan, Jul 18, 2012.

1. jlmcclellan macrumors member

Have any of you purchased a 13" MBA recently with the 128GB HDD? I'm considering picking it up if the iMac isn't updated by the end of the month, but I'm worried disk space is going to be a problem. How much space is still available out of the box with just the OS and normal apps (iLife, etc) installed on it?

Thanks!

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I currently have 100GB free and so far have only installed Microsoft office, firefox, VLC, utorrent, and chrome. Hopefully that gives you a better idea.

3. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I was pretty nervous about the lack of HDD space as well when making my purchase. However, the more I thought about it the more I realized majority of what I do is in the cloud. My music is all through Spotify, my documents are all on Google Docs, pictures are saved on Google+ and I don't really mess with Videos.

I just bought my 13" Air with 128GB 48 hours ago. Since then I have installed Spotify, Chrome, and Adium without intention to stall anything else aside from possibly Word and Excel. Right now I still have 105GB of space left and I really doubt I will ever get close to filling that up.

However, if you still use iTunes with your music stored on your HDD and like to save a lot of pictures/videos on the machine then you will probably run out of room real fast.

Depends on how you plan on using it I suppose.

4. carlos00 macrumors newbie

With just OS installed it should only take up about 13GB-15GB so you should have plenty of space left

5. robvas macrumors 68020

You could always buy a 32GB SD card or USB drive to keep your iTunes stuff on. That's what takes up a lot of space for most people.

6. jlmcclellan thread starter macrumors member

I never thought about using an SD card for iTunes. Good call. Thanks everyone! Does anyone have an install of Parallels or VMWare with Windows 7? I'm curious how much room that takes up (I'd use it for testing websites I've built in Internet Explorer).

7. robvas macrumors 68020

I use VirtualBox - they have an option where your virtual disk grows as you add to it. But 5GB-10GB is a good start.

8. seewor macrumors newbie

I put a notification for my IE users they should chhange browsers for a better experience, I still test it on IE tho, firefox and chrome/safari is almost identical all my pages are the same but stupid IE not so

No need for windows 7 because of IE, use adobe browserlab you can test websites in ie6 upwards, firefox 3 e.t.c

9. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

A 128 GB SSD when formatted, but with nothing (not even OSX) installed has 120 GB available.

10. jlmcclellan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. I'm still hoping the iMac is updated with ML release next week, but it's looking less and less like it's going to happen so I'll more than likely be buying the 13" MBA i5 8GB next week.

11. stchman macrumors 6502a

I just got a 2012 MBA with 128Gb SSD.

I installed:

LibreOffice
    Flash
    Silverlight
    Java 6 JDK
    Netbeans
    XCode

A few other misc smaller apps and I have only use ~20GB of the SSD.

12. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Until recently I had an 11-inch MBA with a 64GB drive, and with OS X Lion, iLife '11, Office 2008 and a few other tools (CCC, TTP, DW, etc...) I had about 50GB free space available.

13. wheelie15man macrumors newbie

I'm doing the same,if no new iMac in the next month I'm getting a 13" Air 128gb and 8gb ram