Available Space Incorrect on Finder Window

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Oldsilver, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Oldsilver macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro HD is approx 200 GB. When I add up sizes of all folders using Get Info (Apps, User, Library, etc) I get about 92GB. When I open a Finder window, it shows (bottom of window) about 16GB available. It appears as if all folders on HD are counted twice (or is it a coincidence?): double 92 gives 184 ... 16 left??
    Disk Utility also gives the same figures.
    "OmniDiskSweeper" scan of HD shows 80.5 GB for Volumes, 74.0 GB for Users, 4.7 GB for Library, 3.9 for Applications (+few other folders etc total ~6 GB).
    How do I get to see the 'real' (i.e. correct) amount of free space available (or have all the folders actually been written twice on the HD?). Two days ago, I did a Restore from Time Machine ... could that have kept the previous stuff and put the Restored stuff on the HD as well? If so, how could I see all the files so I can tell what to delete to get back to around only 92 GB?
    Any suggestions please??

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

1st suggestion: If you aren't SURE what it is, don't delete it, whatever it may be!

Don't know the answer to your riddle, but if it's not causing real problems, don't panic.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are hidden system files and folders that don't appear in Finder. They shouldn't be deleted, as many are critical to Mac OS X operation. That's why they're hidden. The amount of space you have available as reported by Finder is accurate.

You can install Disk Inventory X to see what is using disk space.

4. link080808 macrumors newbie

Thanks Man. You helped me to find one 50 GB hidden file that was lost after Physical to Virtual conversion and that prevented me to work.