Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Will we ever see a "within 24 hours" shipping time for the new Mac Pro, or will there always be a +/- 60 day lead time on orders for the life of the product?

I'm wondering if Apple is "ramping up production" and will eventually be able to meet demand, continuously and without hiccups, or if they have maybe made a gross miscalculation with regard to their US manufacturing plant's ability to produce machines.

dalupus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
Will we ever see a "within 24 hours" shipping time for the new Mac Pro, or will there always be a +/- 60 day lead time on orders for the life of the product?

I'm wondering if Apple is "ramping up production" and will eventually be able to meet demand, continuously and without hiccups, or if they have maybe made a gross miscalculation with regard to their US manufacturing plant's ability to produce machines.

I think it is more likely they underestimated the amount of pent up demand for a new Mac Pro.

They knew exactly how many machines they could produce and how quickly.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Yes there will be. Patience.
I'll have switched to PC by then...

Just kidding. I love Apple... and will gladly dish out for a new Mac Pro when I can afford it, and by the time I can, I bet they'll be available.

I love PCs too btw... I build a new gaming / Adobe box every two years.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

The Mac Pro is has "limited" demand compared to just about all other Mac computers. There is huge demand right now (compared to it's "normal" demand) since it really hasn't been updated since 2010 (2012 was a simple speed/RAM bump). Eventually the initial demand will subside, and the shipping times will reduce drastically. Will it "ever" be 24 hours? Of course it will. It just might not be until mid-2014 or later....

ZnU

macrumors regular
May 24, 2006
This was probably a very hard to machine to estimate demand for, not only because of pent up demand, but because it's quite a different product from the previous Mac Pro, possibly making sales of the previous Mac Pro a poor guide. Once over the initial demand hump, will this machine sell worse than the previous Mac Pro because it's less internally expandable, or better because people like the less intrusive form factor, user-friendliness of external expansion, ludicrously fast PCIe SSD and so on? I have no idea, and I wonder if Apple did either. They may still not know now, due to an inability to distinguish pent up demand from a new higher baseline.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

It isn't 60 days now. Currently creeping up on the middle of March and the online Apple store (USA version) is still showing "April". So it is more than 30, but less the 60 days at this point. ( even if something ordered right now misses April 30th and slides 6 days into May it is still less).

Fixed configurations should get to "24 hours" in a couple of months. BTO configs may never get to "24 hours". "24 hours" is highly suggestive that Apple decided to build the machine before you ordered it. For the overwhelming vast majority of possible BTO configs I don't think Apple is going to shift to making it before you order it. It won't be months or multiple weeks, but hours isn't likely.

More likely Apple calculated what the average demand would be over the system's production lifetime ( 10-15 months) and provisioned a contract to cover that. Apple will 'catch up' as monthly demand falls below designed max monthly capacity. When the machine gets made is being time shifted, not particularly whether the machine gets made.

When 3rd party SSDs show up that will slightly shift more demand into standard configuration systems. ( as customers will buy and then customize). That apparently isn't going to happen until Summer.

One thing that Apple appears to have goofed on is standard configurations. They went from 5-6 down to just 2. ( Granted dropped dual CPU offerings but still 6 -> 3 would have made more sense). The ordering tracking spreadsheets is suggestive that not having a "good, better, best" line up was mistake. They should have had a "best" ( 6 core , bump in SSD , D700 ) configuration that could have been bought off-the-shelf (or more specifically; out of the warehouse ). If they would have made a fair amount of those before launching they would not have fallen behind as far as they have. There still would have been a delay ( just-in-time manufacturing and relatively high initial demand bubbles are a mismatch).

The expected number of BTO orders was probably lower or was in the "unknown" category. If it takes until May/June to catch up, then it was far closer to "unknown".

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
They knew exactly how many machines they could produce and how quickly.

Even if a marketing department provides production targets and you pass that quantity/schedule info to your suppliers, a lot can happen to throw a wrench into production timetables.

Apple has limited control over availability/status of all the parts that go into making their products. And the ripple effects from yield problems, recalls, shortages, obsolescence, etc...can be huge.

It has been a very frustrating roll out for a LOT of people and Apple's culture of "silence" does nothing to help the situation.

Browsing

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2014
And on February 11 it switched to April, so a seven weeks wait.

If the situation hasn't changed, it means that today the shipping estimates should move to May...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.