Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phil83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Washington, DC
Remember AvantGo?

Does anyone know if AvantGo is going to make an iphone application? I loved the fact that it would automatically download the NYTimes, Wall street Journal, and other publications to my palm pilot.

I know that I can just use the web-site but the ease of everything there, downloaded on a device makes life so much easier than waiting for a page to load.

Does AvantGo break one of Apple's application agreements? If not why haven’t they made an application?

By the way for those who do know what AvantGo is ( http://www.avantgo.com ), it’s a program that automatically takes web content from new sources and magazines that you choose, and saves it’s so you can view it offline through it’s software. I used it on palm pilot and iPAQ during the day (the 90’s…)

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
Because Avantgo is notoriously slow at changing to new platforms (it took forever to get a Symbian client and then when it did it was a load of the proverbial brown biological).

You're probably better off finding a good rss reader and doing things that way.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am wondering about this myself. One of the places where I now work has really crappy wifi, so my iPad is severely diminished there. I can use my iPhone for Internet access, but the 3g is rather slow in this place. To give you kinda an idea of this place, it is sort of like working in a dungeon (I am only slightly kidding - cement walls, no windows, etc). Even the computers I use do not have Internet access. So, I have been thinking recently that something like avantgo would be ideal for my work environment. Is there anything out there like avantgo? Or do I need to go through the tedium of downloading every article I may want to read prior to leaving home?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.