Avast for iOS

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by spiralynth, Jun 9, 2013.

1. spiralynth macrumors regular

Anyone use Avast's SecureLine for iOS on any of their iDevices? Any value-add or, more importantly, any poblems?

As soon as I do a back-up, I'm considering trying it on my iPhone first.

http://www.avast.com/en-us/index

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i dont see the need for any ios antivirus at all acually. especially not for $2.99 a month when ive never had an issue, nor has anyone else in everday use.

3. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Even if it was needed iOS is so sandboxed I doubt Avast could actually do anything meaningful.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I don't use it, I run my own private VPN server hosted within my DDWRT router. It's not a top notch solution, very basic solution, but some peace of mind for me on the cheap.

SecureLine has much more value-add in above the basic encrypted VPN. Virus scanning on the server side is meh, but webphishing url checking, and Ad serving blocking is intriguing.

The app delivers a Profile Certificate, then negotiates the OS establishing a VPN link. All your apps, and browsing from native Safari go through their servers for the scanning, protection, and blocking ad servers. It's a really clever service if you spend a lot of time looking at financial records and sensitive data on public hotspots.

Wow, 3 people in a row, responded without realizing the OP was asking about a secure networking solution.

6. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

iOS being sandboxed is primarily the reason why anti-virus software isn't needed.

7. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

he posted a link to the general avast homepage. he made no mention of securing a network connection. someone actually needs to goto the website, find the app to figure out exactly what its used for, then deduce what he was needing it for. 9/10 people will see avast and assume he wants it for virus protection, not networking. he shouldve been more specific.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

http://www.avast.com/secureline-ios

this you can get with any VPN.

This is their value add-in

----------

His post specifically said "Avast SecureLine".

There is an old saying about assuming... but maybe it doesn't apply when no one had to assume because the details were there.

9. alice04 macrumors regular

alice04

I want to try but yeah they are all right, No need for iOS ;)

10. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

It was early in the AM for me. At least there were three people available to jump in and help. ;)

11. sosjohn macrumors newbie

avast for ios

see if this is specific enough: I use AVAST on an android phone because I am singularly worried about a thief gaining access to the device, then using emails to access other personal information. As we all know, the way to get into any website is through the reset via email approach. So I like AVAST's secondary PIN number entry for specific app I choose on the droid (e.g. protect email, don't bother with the MLB app, etc.). AVAST also has cool anti-theft features.
    Therefore, I want the same features on the iPAD. I want a SECONDARY PIN request before I can launch email on the iPAD.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Features like that are not available on iOS with the exception of just using another app for email that has a passcode feature in it or perhaps jailbreaking and installing a tweak that provides that type of (per app password protection) functionality.