Avast Mac Security Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Evren Carven, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Evren Carven macrumors regular

Evren Carven

Is there anyone with the same problem with me? Last Friday, I downloaded the latest Avast Mac Security from cnet download and installed it without any problem. Today, when I open it from launchpad, it’s window appeared indeed. But it crashed at once when I can see its window and then nothing. I tried many times without no difference. Should I reinstall it or do something else?

In addition, my Thunderbird cannot receive any emails now. It said my emails server had disconnected. Is a problem caused by Avast?

Thanks for any advice.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have had intermittent issues with Avast on my PC related to emails, so its possible that on the Mac it could be interfering. I will say the need for antivirus software on the Mac is low, you really don't need it but if you still want some protection, I recommend ClamXav Its free, lightweight and doesn't cause problems like others do on the Mac.

3. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

"from cnet download..."

I downloaded a small App from them last week.
    It turned out to have evil inside the installer.

I think perhaps cnet does not police their downloads selection as thoroughly as they did a decade ago.

4. Evren Carven thread starter macrumors regular

Evren Carven

Thanks very much both maflynn and Partron22. At last, I have to uninstall the Avast Mac Security. Now everything is ok. I will have a try with ClamXav.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I haven't yet encountered any issues with Avast on Mac out of all the Macs we've supplied (compared to Sophos, where we had a world of trouble). I'm a little more inclined to believe, as Patron22 mentioned, that it could be the CNET installer. They're absolutely horrible and recently seem to be full of nasty stuff. Just to let you know that you can download Avast directly from the official website here: https://www.avast.com/en-gb/download-thank-you.php?product=MAC-FREE-ONLINE&locale=en-gb