Avast

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sgtbob, Apr 4, 2009.

1. sgtbob macrumors regular

sgtbob

Has the Avast program been made a part of one of the latest Mac downloads? I now have this aggravating item popping up when I go to my e-mail and it is a pain.:D

Bob

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Avast?

I don't have that. It must be either something you downloaded and installed or a popup.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

4. Salmar macrumors regular

5. sgtbob thread starter macrumors regular

sgtbob

Is there anyway to set Avast so that it works in the background? It keeps popping up on the screen when I am trying to reply to someone and is a royal pain to have it cover the area you are working on and to have to stop it. :(
    Bob

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Uninstall it. You don't really need it. If you want to be protected from sending anything to Windows buddies, use ClamX AV.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I did not know they made a Mac version of this program. By the way it is great in Windows.

Anyways assuming it is like the Windows counterpart. Open it and go to program settings or some variant of that phrase, as it may be different in OS X. Then you can go to "confirmations" and disable most messages, go to "sounds" and disable them, then go to "updates basic" > "details". Once there change the "running mode" to "silent" and uncheck the box "show sliding box after automatic update" then click "OK" out of the windows. Then the annoyance features should be disabled.

Though I have to agree with the above posters. You do not need an anti-virus in Mac OS X.