Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by scotty96LSC, Jun 22, 2008.

1. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

With these new admin changes to the site, I was wondering if there was any discussion of giving a contributor, with less than 500 posts, a default avatar? Maybe an avatar assigned to the demi-god, demi-goddess, etc. based on his or her selection?
    Maybe just another incentive to contribute.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This has been suggested often and has always been met with the same response by the administration. The current system is seen as having value and offers the best balance.

I don't see it changing.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

4. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Sigh.

Just over 350 posts. Member since '01.

I do need to crawl out from my rock more often.

As much as I'd like to have contributors and all Demis get avatars, the 500 post things does encourage participation. And that's not a bad thing.

5. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

from someone who been here for 5 years and still no avatar...i still agree with the set up. I want one, but it's ok. I'll get there, and like has been said before, you should contribute because you want to, not because of the benefits you get. I mean, I dont' donate money to charities to get something out of it, i just like doing it. One of the many reasons i think the (RED) thing is a failure. but that is a whole other topic. I think the system works just fine.

-je

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Strange I had always assumed that one of the benefits of being a contributor was to be able to get an Avatar at any point rather than trying to reach 500 posts. Maybe it was this way when I first started posting here, I do not recall though.

One thing that did bug me a little though was changing the 6502 naming to 250 posts and changing 500 to 6502a. Mainly because I spent countless hours to reach it then a month or to later it changed.

At least it is still 500 for an Avatar as that would have been rather irksome.

Though one could argue that you get something out of it regardless. The feeling of satisfaction from doing something nice when donating to charity:D.

Philosophically speaking anything a person does is because it is for their own interest. Even say choosing to give a mugger your money since you valued your life more highly. While simply being physically forced without a choice or an accident are not choices and therefore are not self serving.

Sorry for the rant this is something I was pondering recently and spotted the opportunity to reflect out loud. There is obviously a difference between morally righteous choices and greedy uncaring choices.

7. kabunaru Guest

Just post more often but make sure you post useful posts. Also, try to post in the threads you are most interested in more often.