Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by 204467, Sep 27, 2008.

1. 204467 macrumors 6502a

When I first got 500 posts, I uploaded a picture of my old profile picture (smiley face) as my avatar. I quickly got tire of it and uploaded a picture of Eshcer's Waterfall. However, all it did was show a stretched up picture of my old avatar, the smiley face. I switched out that avatar for the blue picture with "shpongle" on it; however, all it showed was once again a picture of my first avatar, the smiley face, this time stretched out sideways. I waited several days without one, about a week and uploaded a completely new avatar (robot picture). Now, even though my profile shows up as the robot picture in my user profile, all that my posts show is the 3rd attachment squeezed sideways into a 75x75 space. What's going on, can anyone help me?

Attached Files:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It can take a couple of hours for new avatars to show up next to posts, as they are stored on a separate server that only syncs occasionally. But you have noticed what funky byproduct: if your old and new avatars are different sizes, you'll see your old avatar stretched or squished to the dimensions of your new avatar until things update.

As you noted, you can check your profile page to make sure that it will appear correctly, as that updates immediately upon uploading. So just give things a couple of hours. :)

3. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, okay. So all I have to do is wait? I thought there was a bug with the pictures I was using.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you'd like to change your avatar frequently and avoid this problem, make sure that all of your avatars have the same dimensions. You can put a background color of EEEEEE so it'll blend into the left-side area.

It'll still take time for the change to appear, but it won't be stretched or squashed in the meantime.

6. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What do you mean by put in a background color of EEEEEE? Is that something to do with Photoshop?

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yes. If you are making your own avatar in an image editor, instead of using a background color of white, you'd pick the color with hex value "EEEEEE". In decimal, the RGB setting would be (238,238,238). You could also make the background area transparent.

As an example, I just created this avatar or two Qs in a blue square, in four versions:

1. Cropped. It's 66x66, not the full 75x75.

2. White background, 75x75. White is usually the default background color if you create a new image in an image editor.

3. EEEEEE background, 75x75.

4. Transparent background, 75x75.

#1 is just the size I need, but it if I change to another avatar with a different size, it'll get squashed or stretched temporarily.

#2 keeps it 75x75. If I make all of my avatars this size, they never get distorted, but people will see an ugly white border when it's in the left-side area.

#3 and #4 solve the problem by making the outer area invisible to the eye, either by setting it to match the forum's left-side background color (#3) or by making it see-through (#4).

You might be able to see the effect by dragging the images below over the left-side area as a simulation. Also, if you drag them next to the vertical borderline, you'll see whether or not the outer area of the avatar "blunks out" the vertical line as it gets close.

None of this matters if you aren't using an image editor or if you don't want to go to this much trouble to avoid temporary distortions.

Attached Files:

8. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

@Doctor Q
    Yeah, all of my avatars are just images from the web. Anyway, as you can see, my avatar is all good now, so thanks for the help.

9. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, after waiting a few hours it worked fine. Thanks for the help.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sure you can. I often do, although using a background that matches the known background color produces the same effect.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Interesting; I tried using a transparent background and it didn't work for me. :confused:

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Would you like to attach the file to a post so we can look it over for you?