Avatar Suggestion

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
761
24
Chicago
Wonder if this might be a good way to stem the avatar question... The "Edit Avatar" screen itself seems like it can be a bit puzzling to some folks. I wonder if a few words could be added to the right of "Edit Avatar."

For example...

"Edit Avatar -- 500 posts required to use this feature"

I did a forum search on "avatar" and I got 20 pages (i.e., 500 posts). Only 1 link on the first results page was relevant -- and it wasn't a link to the FAQ page or the "sticky" on the Site and Forum Feedback page.

As a member who lurked before I joined, I knew 'twas better to search before posting -- but I think some people get intimidated by the results and go ahead and post. In cases like the inevitable "Where's my avatar?" query, I wonder if some of the confusion could be avoided by a tweak to the configuration screen itself.
 

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
5,551
695
having a drink at Milliways
mac_2005 said:
Wonder if this might be a good way to stem the avatar question... The "Edit Avatar" screen itself seems like it can be a bit puzzling to some folks. I wonder if a few words could be added to the right of "Edit Avatar."

For example...

"Edit Avatar -- 500 posts required to use this feature"

I did a forum search on "avatar" and I got 20 pages (i.e., 500 posts). Only 1 link on the first results page was relevant -- and it wasn't a link to the FAQ page or the "sticky" on the Site and Forum Feedback page.

As a member who lurked before I joined, I knew 'twas better to search before posting -- but I think some people get intimidated by the results and go ahead and post. In cases like the inevitable "Where's my avatar?" query, I wonder if some of the confusion could be avoided by a tweak to the configuration screen itself.
a sensible suggestion, but i am not sure the forms can be customized in that way
 

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
2,265
0
That is a surprisingly good idea. Better than making a new person use the search function (which they won't) but still getting the point across. It should be definately doable...
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
mac_2005 said:
It looks like it could be, but I've only recently begun learning php.
Not as simple as that. vBulletin is made up of so, so, so many PHP files that all combine in various ways to create each page, not to mention the vast amount of content that is stored in SQL, actually finding where this little bit is would be a serious headache.
 

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
1,891
202
Mountains of Vermont
mac_2005 said:
"Edit Avatar -- 500 posts required to use this feature"
This is a good idea that would make for less frustration and fewer questions about this on the boards.

Speaking of which, I thought the trigger level was 400 posts...
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,232
4
pubwvj said:
This is a good idea that would make for less frustration and fewer questions about this on the boards.

Speaking of which, I thought the trigger level was 400 posts...

nope always been 500, but as edesign pointed out, it might me more of a headache than its worth
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
PlaceofDis said:
nope always been 500, but as edesign pointed out, it might me more of a headache than its worth
I agree. And further to that, MR would still be inundated with newbies asking "Where's my avatar?" no matter how you spell it out, bold it and highlight it. You can never completely foolproof something. ;)

Not a bad suggestion, but as edesignuk said (and you echoed), tricky to implement, and as a result, I'm not sure if it's worth it in the end....
 

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
4,714
0
Gah! Plymouth
Just to let everyone know, it would be pretty easy to make it state that you need 500 posts, all you would need to do is either

1. change the phrase in the admincp
2. change the template in the admincp

Pretty easy stuff, just have to find it ^^

*goes to find out where it is on own site*
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
That'll only encourage them to spam to get to 500.

It took me 12 days to get to avatar status.
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
Lacero said:
That'll only encourage them to spam to get to 500.

It took me 12 days to get to avatar status.
So basically you're saying you didn't need any encouragement to make 40 posts/day? :p ;) :cool:

Joking aside, I remember you didn't even actually have an avatar for the longest time, so it's obvious that wasn't a motivator for you. :)
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
eva01 said:
I would have no problem with helping out with some of the template needs on the site, all they have to do is ask :p
Just PM one of the Mods and make them aware of your offer - edesignuk might be a good place to start. :)
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
Even if have it on the screen in bright neon, shout at them about the 500 post limit until they cry, or tattoo it on their ass -- we will still have newbies complaining that they cannot upload their tar.

People tend to read the directions last...
 

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
2,580
0
On a jet plane
Sun Baked said:
Even if have it on the screen in bright neon, shout at them about the 500 post limit until they cry, or tattoo it on their ass -- we will still have newbies complaining that they cannot upload their tar.
So...which files do we need to change to do that? I'm liking the idea of Hal shouting, "No 'tar till you reach 500 posts, now drop and give me 20" until somebody cries...:eek: :p