AVAudioRecorder [recorder record] always return NO

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by haisergeant, Dec 7, 2011.

1. haisergeant macrumors newbie

I have a problem with recording functionality of my application:

Recording directory is: /Document/Recordings/

Code:
    [recordingSettings setValue:[NSNumber numberWithInt:kAudioFormatAppleIMA4] forKey:AVFormatIDKey];
    [recordingSettings setValue:[NSNumber numberWithFloat:44100.0] forKey:AVSampleRateKey]; 
    [recordingSettings setValue:[NSNumber numberWithInt:1] forKey:AVNumberOfChannelsKey];
    [recordingSettings setValue:[NSNumber numberWithInt:AVAudioQualityMax] forKey:AVEncoderAudioQualityKey];

NSURL *url = [NSURL fileURLWithPath:[[GlobalRecording recordingDirectory] stringByAppendingPathComponent:currentFileName]];
    NSError *err = nil;
    AVAudioRecorder *aRecorder = [[AVAudioRecorder alloc] initWithURL:url settings:recordingSettings error:&err];
    if( err ){
        NSLog(@"could not create a recorder: %@ %d %@", [err domain], [err code], [[err userInfo] description]);
        return;
    }

[aRecorder setDelegate:self];
    aRecorder.meteringEnabled = YES;
    BOOL temp = [aRecorder prepareToRecord];
    if (temp) {
        NSLog(@"Prepare TRUE");
    } else {
        NSLog(@"Prepare FALSE");
    }
    temp = [aRecorder record];
    if (temp) {
        NSLog(@"Record TRUE");
    } else {
        NSLog(@"Record FALSE");
    }
    The problem is [aRecorder prepareToRecord] always return TRUE, that will create a record file in system (/Document/Recordings). But [aRecorder record], this method to begin recording, always return FALSE. That will make the record file is 0 byte, can not do anything with it.

I hope anyone have see this problem before and help me. Thanks.

2. RonC macrumors regular

Some things that jump out at me immediately:

• Does the path really begin with /? That's the root of the file system and just doesn't sound right. You should probably be using something else. Can you log that path?
    • Do any of the delegate methods get called?
    • Does your device have a microphone? I know it's a silly question, but I thought I'd ask just to make sure.

3. haisergeant thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi RonC,

- I think the path must begin with "/", that is the absolute path in iphone structure.
    The path I log is: /var/mobile/Applications/E43159A0-8706-461C-BC30-4728E3426D32/Documents/Recordings/20111215_171954.caf

- The delegate method not call because it can not recording.
    - My device is ipad 2, it has a recording feature.

Thank you very much for your help.