AVCHD 24p pulldown?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by shadowschild, Jan 14, 2009.

1. shadowschild macrumors member

So since its AVCHD do i have to do the whole pulldown removal crap? if so how? I shoot with a canon HG20

2. polar-blair macrumors regular

As far as I know you shouldn't have to because it is not tape based, the reason to go through the pull down process is to get footage shot in 24p to actually be 24p

- for example the NSTC version of the Canon HV30 shots at 60i and 24p but because the HV30 Dosnt actually change the speed of the tape some of the frames are repeated to give it a 24p feel but it is actually 60i, thats why you have to "pull down" the frames so they actually come up as 24p in your editing suite and not 60i

But because your AVCHD camcorder records to hard drive I presume if it has a 24p function you wont need to worry.

best way is to check is to bring the file into your editing program and it should tell you the frame rate of the clip.

3. vasic macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, not so

Unfortunately, most AVCHD camcorders today that support this 24P framerate actually do the same thing HDV camcorders do: record it to AVCHD file in 60i by telecine-ing. On first thought, it makes absolutely no sense, however this is the reality.

The possible reasoning behind this is so that consumers who record in 'Movie mode' can still watch their videos on standard-definition TVs using built-in D/A converter and composite NTSC A/V output (yellow-white-red). Since NTSC has to be 60i, that's how 24P is encoded.

For those with HDTVs and HDMI, most modern HDTVs can detect 24p frames in the 60i fields and properly decode the telecine cadence, displaying exactly 24 progressive full frames.

Obviously, for editing in true 24P, we have to go through the song-and-dance routine of inverse telecine.

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

it makes sense because iMovie and FCE will not edit 23.98 material...