Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laumeikiang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2010
So i just purchased a canon HF S200 and i love the little camera so far. BUT i'm having absolutely no luck when it comes to actually uploading clips to my computer.

i am able to drag and drop files on to my computer, but it i can't actually read any of them. they are in a .cpi format. the camera came with software, but its only for windows, making it impossible for me to install it. from what i've read online mac users have been able to connect the USB to their computer and log and transfer the files into FCP. but when i attempt this, no such luck. i have FCP 6.0 and am using Mac OS 10.5.8.

please please please give me any ideas or thoughts.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
I have an HFS10 and it all works nicely.

• Plug your camera into the battery charger
  • Plug your camera into your computer using a USB cable
  • Open FCP
  • Turn on the camera and put it into playback mode (see the camera manual for details)
  • Create new project using settings that match your video (something like 1920 x 1080i) see the FCP manual for further details like setting logging bins
  • open log and transfer (command-shift-8)
  • wait for it to see your camera (this may take a little while sometimes)
  • select a file and transfer it.

laumeikiang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2010
I've tried to do that exact same process before many times. I've waited as long as an hour for the camera to get recognized and it never does. Do you know how to fix this problem?

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
Next things I'd try:
  • change USB cable
  • different USB port
  • try a card reader
  • does iMovie see the camera?
  • even if the Mac isn't seeing the camera, is the camera seeing the Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.